Heated clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated clothing

Has anyone worn heated clothing on their yak? I found a heated vest that is lithium battery powered and thought it might be good to wear under my jacket during cold weather trips. They also have sock liners you can wear with waders and lots of other stuff.

The FAQ says that all of the wiring and heating elements are waterproof and can get wet but the battery is only water resistant and should not be submerged. I figured I can put the battery in a small dry bag. Anyone have any experience with this or similar product?

Here is a link to the vest;

http://coreheat.net/Products/Heated%...ll%20Vest.html

I wore D-cell heated socks and they didnt quite do the job; I then Mcguyver'd them to use 9volt batteries. The 9 volt batteries pretty much lit my feet on fire for about 20minutes then they were cold again.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
      I wore D-cell heated socks and they didnt quite do the job; I then Mcguyver'd them to use 9volt batteries. The 9 volt batteries pretty much lit my feet on fire for about 20minutes then they were cold again.
      lol.

If it dosent work at first make it better.

Comment

More power!
        Hobie PA 12

Comment

I use hand warmers on top of my toes held in place with second pair of socks- works about four hours- You can also do this very same thing on the outside of the boot/shoe by putting hand warmers on top of the toes and use the elastic bands (ear warmers) to hold in place- best way to keep warm is to layer up- Under Armor long johns, fleece then dry suit or waders/Dry Top. I use the Nike running gloves that can get wet as my hand protection- they do a decent job keeping your hands warm and if they get wet they dry quickly- I don't take them off to handle fish, lures, etc. they are thin and cling tightly- just remember you lose 40% of your body heat through your head-

Good luck to all you hardy fellas braving the weather this weekend at the meet and greet. Be safe and have fun-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

LOL someones going to get electrocuted

Comment

Just plug into your FF battery
              Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                I use hand warmers on top of my toes held in place with second pair of socks- works about four hours
                I tried this today... my feet got cold after 6 hours, but I assumed I had lasted that long thanks to the hand warmers I had put in my socks and gloves. But I realized after getting back to shore that they never fired! I guess the reaction requires oxygen, and there was none inside my waterproof gloves and socks. So the handwarmers are heating NOW... doh!
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
                  Just plug into your FF battery
                  Not a bad idea actually. (other than being tethered to your yak by an electrified wire)
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Mike--the same company makes toe warmers that are designed to work in boots with restricted air flow. Those might work better, but they're only supposed to last 4 hours. I have some but haven't tried them yet. I've used the hand warmers in my boots to good effect, but my boot/sock combo was kind of loose. I think pedaling caused enough air flow.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                    X