Friday fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday fishing?

Anyone up for fishing tomorrow? I'm planning on launching at Jonas Green tomorrow around 09:30-10:00. I'll be looking for some pickerel to keep up my lead in the CCA Pickerel challenge.
    Hobie PA 12

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
    Anyone up for fishing tomorrow? I'm planning on launching at Jonas Green tomorrow around 09:30-10:00. I'll be looking for some pickerel to keep up my lead in the CCA Pickerel challenge.
    Ed -

I may join you. I launched from Jonas Green this afternoon to a cold wind. I was able to tuck in out of the wind in a sheltered area. I caught 4 pickerel (19.5", 19", 18", and 15"). I had 5 other fish take the minnow in their mouths, shake their heads a few times as I wound in, then let go. My surprise of the day was an 11" white perch - my first white perch since the citation fish on Jan 1. It was quite large in the vertical dimension and actually looked bigger than 11" (I measured it on the Hawg Trough to avoid fisherman's exaggeration). That 11" perch pulled harder than any of the pickerel I caught today.

I will shoot you a note in the morning as my plans get clarified.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I will see you there in the morning!!

Comment

Excellent, see you then.
        Hobie PA 12

Comment

CB, you should get an award for most February fishing... you're on a roll!

Good luck guys!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

We ended up with four kayak fisherman this morning launching from Jonas Green park at 10:00. We fished in a nearby creek known to hold pickerel. CB kayak02 caught several. Aesiegel also caught a few, including the fat 19" fish shown below. I was just paddling toward him to say that I was returning to Jonas Green when his rod doubled over. I managed to fool 4 pickerel this morning.

Another angler (SteveD) fished today from his new ProAngler. We had two ProAngler boats and two paddle boats today.

We were also joined for a while by another Severn River angler (Pat) who rode there in his Carolina Skiff. I saw Pat catch at least 4 pickerel today. It was a bit crowded with five of us fishing in a relatively small area, but we made out fine.

I did not feel cold while on the water, but realized I was chilled to the bone even an hour later at home.
            Attached Files
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice going guys. Definitely the weather was good today and better than the weekend. Great camera work on taking the pictures.

Comment

We almost had enough yakers to qualify as a "Meet and Greet". Nice day, and the fish were cooperative. I managed to boat seven with several others lost boatside. I was using small soft plastics, one with a twister tail and the other I used with a spinner. The twister tail seemed to work best overall but towards the end, I had success with the spinner version.
                Attached Files
                Hobie PA 12

Comment

I did okay, caught 2 at about 14-15 inches and then lost about 4-5 others. So my batting average was quite on par with what I would have liked.

Comment

We almost had enough yakers to qualify as a "Meet and Greet". Nice day, and the fish were cooperative. I managed to boat seven with several others lost boatside. I was using small soft plastics, one with a twister tail and the other I used with a spinner. The twister tail seemed to work best overall but towards the end, I had success with the spinner version.
                    Nice work Ed I think you were able to get us on the board for KW.

Comment

It sounds like 17 pickerel were caught between Ed, Matt, Pat, and me. I talked with SteveD later on -- he did not catch any today.

Based on my other recent outings in that and nearby creeks, that seems like a decent number of fish to get caught in a 3-hour window from a small tributary. With five vessels in the area, many paddle or fin strokes plus Pat's trolling motor, and hundreds of casts, the fish probably got a bit wary after a while. I know that at least part of the time I was fishing in areas that were not my prime spots because others were fishing there. I did surprise myself by catching two of my fish on back-to-back casts in an area of the creek that has not previously produced any bites.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Nice work, gents. I wish I could've skipped out of work today and joined you. I thought about it for a long time last night.
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

We are now on the board for Kayak Wars with 10 points!
                          Hobie PA 12

Comment

Here is some video from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujU4...xDXTBJDhT4uLIr
                            Last edited by Aesiegel; 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM.
                            Hobie PA 12

Comment

^awesome vid!

thanks for the report, pics and video

i need to try my hand at pickerels
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X