Crummy customer service from Stohlquist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crummy customer service from Stohlquist

My Stohlquist B-pod developed leaky socks after a fishing trip back in December. This was the second time the socks leaked. I also found a spot on the upper thigh that was delaminating, and I wanted to get the hole I put in it last May permanently repaired (I patched it with some wader repair goop and sail tape). I emailed Stohlquist for a return authorization and never heard anything back. I sent it back without an authorization in the middle of January, damn the torpedoes. I put everything I wanted repaired on the repair form and gave my contact info in case they were going to charge me to fix the hole I made, which is only fair.

I got the dry suit back at the beginning of this week, which is a pretty good turn around. However, they only replaced the socks and didn't fix the hole I made or the spot that was delaminating. No explanations were given on the return form. So I sent another email thanking them for the prompt turn around and asking if the other two problems couldn't be repaired. No response after 5 days. Time to give them a call...

So the moral of the story is, I don't recommend buying the Stohlquist B-pod if you're thinking about getting a dry suit. Kokatat makes an angler dry suit with a neoprene neck gasket and thicker material on the seat and legs. I like the B-pod's neck gasket better because I think it would be more effective at keeping water out, but there's no point in that if the socks don't last more than 2 or 3 trips.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Bill- I don't think I want to go down the dry suit road you have travelled- I am thinking an O'Neil wetsuit would be far easier and something that you could repair a lot easier....and the price should be somewhat less expensive-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron--I have a wetsuit, but I never use it. It's really hard to pedal against, and uncomfortable. Once you sweat in it, it gets clammy and eventually cold, believe it or not. I only wore it for a couple trips before I opted for the waders and dry top combo. That's probably the most versatile option for me because I could use the top with breathable or neoprene waders, and I also have multiple sets of waders in case one pair gets a leak. The dry suit is way more comfortable because it's all one piece, but if the feet leak, the entire thing is worthless.
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Well, shucks- that's not an option then- although my surfer Son thinks O'Neil is golden...but he isn't 66, pleasingly plump, and peddle for hours on end from a sitting position, either.

I usually don't get cold as long as I am trolling- sitting still while fishing anchored is a different matter. I wish there were dry suits made for big men and were more affordable- but they aren't, so I'll stick with the breathable stocking foot waders and a dry top.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          . I wish there were dry suits made for big men and were more affordable- but they aren't, .....
          Ron.... it's not "big men", the term is "Real men" .......men being plural since I count for two these days
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

i wear a wetsuit and it seems very comfy enough for pedalling. sweating is def'ly a possibility - very likely in temps over 50-55. but if your suit gets a hole, split or not sealing at openings? not a big deal.

a good quality, good fit is important since 'flushing' is the greater source of heat loss than conduction/convection. but the cost savings compared to drysuit starts to get smaller if you get a nicer suit.

to stay warm when it's cold, you can put a set of fishing pants and/or jacket over top of a wetsuit.

i've worn wetsuits for windsurfing since early 90's. i had an o'neil wetsuit/drysuit for a couple years. one day the drysuit-style zipper (horizontal across back of shoulders) popped open and i scooped up a bunch of water. my WS board was what we call a 'sinker' and did not have enough flotation for me to get on plane with the extra weight. i was very relieved that i was able to schlog back to shore and switched back to wetsuit after that.

for kayak'g, i think a good quality drysuit has lots of benefits and is a great option. i may get one next year and appreciate the info above.

Comment

My wetsuit came from NRS. I will say that it's pretty awesome. It has a two-way zipper in the front, wasn't that expensive, and comes in sizes for real men.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2&pdeptid=1162

I can bring it with me on an outing if anyone wants to check it out. I'm pretty sure I went with the XXL for my height, but there's room to spare in the chest and waist for me. If you have questions about the sizing and fit, talking with the folks at NRS was very helpful.
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
              X