Fising the Susky on Weds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fising the Susky on Weds

The weather is looking soooo good for Weds, that I think I will try to make it out to the Susky and try to catch some yellows. I want to try out my new perch rigs and bait. Since I did not make it to the M&G, I stayed home installing an anchor trolly on my yak, along with some other maintenance. So, now the yak is ready to go. Anyone interested in a mid week Susky getaway? Weds, as of now is partly cloudy, high temps 49 degrees, winds 11 to 3 mph.

Wish I could make it out fishing during the week...
    Hope you find a bunch of hungry Perch, I would think they should still be there where we left them.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wis I could too. Work has got my weekdays booked for the extended future.

My 4 keepers at the M&G were female. So any rumors that the females aren't there yet are just that, rumors. Good luck if you go!

Here's the fishy area YakFish showed us (indicated by red oval on map). With a bit of luck they'll still be there in 30-40 ft.

Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

What do you guys recommend for bait? Jighead with minnows, jighead with plastics, Smelly jelly?

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
          What do you guys recommend for bait? Jighead with minnows, jighead with plastics, Smelly jelly?
          All of the above. I don't think you even need smelly jelly unless you want a cat.

I had a live minnow, a chartreuse chad dart, and a gulp minnow on the one rig.

Most of the hookups were on the gulp, but I think that had more to do with the fact that it was the lowest one on the rig. They're hungry. It seems they'll bite anything. YakFish caught his 70 fish on plastics. A lot of other guys did really well with live minnows.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I may be able to arrange my schedule to fish on Wednesday, what time are you planning on getting there?

Comment

I have not given it alot of thought, but I was thinking of arriving at 9am, but I am open.

Comment

I'd like to join you, but I am going to have to pass. It is a bit of a drive from hear and thinking about it more on a weekday I am going to have trouble with traffic. Good luck!

Comment

No problem Fluke. It is about an hour and fourty minutes for me. I will be going again on Sunday.

Comment

I may be available to join you on Wed. I got home late last night from another trip and need to spend most of today getting caught up on things. Plus I slipped on my icy driveway last Sun morning and wrenched my left thigh muscle. I don't know yet if the leg would tolerate several hours in the kayak seat.

I will let you know by this evening if I will make the trip or not.

Do you plan to launch at Jean Roberts park (Havre de Grace side) or pay the extra toll and ramp fee to launch at Owens Marina (in Perryville right next to the spots on Chexone's map).
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I may be available to join you on Wed. I got home late last night from another trip and need to spend most of today getting caught up on things. Plus I slipped on my icy driveway last Sun morning and wrenched my left thigh muscle. I don't know yet if the leg would tolerate several hours in the kayak seat.

I will let you know by this evening if I will make the trip or not.

Do you plan to launch at Jean Roberts park (Havre de Grace side) or pay the extra toll and ramp fee to launch at Owens Marina (in Perryville right next to the spots on Chexone's map).
                      Hi, I am debating. If others were going, then I would be willing to launch from Jean Roberts, but since the Fishy area seems to be right outside of Owens, launching from Owens is real tempting, despite the extra cost. At least I would not have to paddle against any wind going back to the launch.

If you decide to go, then just let me know where you will be launching and I will launch there too. I am planning on a 9am arrival. The middle of the week should have less fishing presure. I am not sure if I will be bringing any minnows. I will have to located a place that is selling them on the way. But I still have the plastics that I bought from you too. I hope your legs heals. Take some Excederin.....

Comment

Moc,
                        Clydes Sport Shop would be on the way if you want to get minnows. Its not too far from 95 in Halethorpe. This is where I always get my live bait.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Marine Forecast for Perryville on Weds:

Wed

NW winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.

Wed Night

N winds 5 kt. Waves less than 1 ft.

About 49 degrees.

Comment

Martin -

It looks like both the weather and my improving leg condition will allow me to fish with you tomorrow. I just checked weather.com and fishweather.com. Both show the wind building throughout the morning from 8 mph to 10 mph by noon. The wind will be from the NW direction, pretty much directly in line with the downstream river flow. That means the current and drift in any unsheltered areas are likely to be fairly fast.

With that in mind, I think I would prefer to launch at Owens Marina on the Perryville side. That would put us immediately into the target area and avoid a long paddle across the river against a strong current.

I will bring several hand-tied mono, double-hook rigs to use with minnows, small plastic baits, or Gulp baits. I will also bring a few bay bottom fishing rigs (what I used last time) as backups. I have quite a few minnows already -- you are welcome to use some of these. You can bring your own minnow bucket or some kind of a jar. I have kept a dozen or two minnows active inside a 16-oz dry-roasted peanut jar for several hours when using my Drifter kayak. That takes up much less room than a bucket.

I will aim to get to the ramp about 9:00 am, as you indicated previously. In case you need to reach me, call my cell 410-212-0950.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ok John, Owens it is! I will see you there around 9:00am. I appreciate the minnows also. I will bring a bait bucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X