No announcement yet.

Your Go-to Place to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my fishing is done close to my home in Annapolis.

For kayak fishing, I use Jonas Green park and the Tucker St. ramp into Weems Creek probably 50 times a year. I catch hundreds of white perch throughout the summer and plenty of pickerel in the winter. By fishing the same spots time after time, I get a sense of where fish are holding and when and where they are likely to move with the seasons. I hope I don't jinx myself by sounding cocky -- I still have lots to learn. But there definitely is an advantage to fishing the same areas many times.

When I use my power boat, I typically launch at Sandy Pt. From there I can fish the Bay Bridge, Hacketts, Tolleys, Thomas Pt, Love Pt., and farther if the water is calm.

Occasionally I will tow the power boat farther or use the roof racks to haul the kayak further afield. But I cannot consider those places "go-to spots".
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

South River, there is always something biting. However, mostly for rockfish.

Above Harpers's Ferry for smallmouth and the occasional walleye.

Comment

Upper Potomac River

My favorite, go to fishing spot is the Potomac River anyplace above Great Falls. I typically fish the areas of the Potomac that are in Montgomery County, but I'll also fish up in Frederick or Washington County. The C & O Canal provides great access and parking for a hundred plus miles. I only get skunked on the Potomac when the water is cold. Spring, Summer, and early Fall it's pretty easy to locate where the smallmouth bass are and they are an absolute blast! White's Ferry, Edwards Ferry, Violetts Lock, Pennyfield Lock, and Swains Lock are all enjoyable places. I just wish I lived closer.

If I don't have time to hit the Potomac, the Patapaso is a gem of a river and there's tiny smallmouth if you know where to go. But kayaking for them is difficult, so I typically wade and fish from the banks.

Comment

^ we have to get together at violetts, i have a blast with smallies there every year

for the bay it's the bay bridge, basically since it's closest to me.

sweet water, potomac above great falls and black hills in moco
          sigpic

Comment

No such thing- I fish all over- St. J's Creek, Mattawoman Creek, Cobb Island, 301 Bridge, Piney Point, PLO, Wheatly Lake, Wicomico, where ever the fish are biting...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

susky flats/river
              joppatown quarry
              middle branch of the patapsco
              dundee creek

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author