questions about alabama rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about alabama rig

hey fellas, i have a few questions and figured somebody mite know. heard about this rig and it just a castable umbrella rig. wondering if i was to make it without the snap swivels and just use snap rings if it would be legal. the state says you can only have two hooks on the umbrella rig . they make them with 3 , 4 , 5 or 6 arms. they are smaller and castable. they should be kick ass on stripers .

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
    hey fellas, i have a few questions and figured somebody mite know. heard about this rig and it just a castable umbrella rig. wondering if i was to make it without the snap swivels and just use snap rings if it would be legal. the state says you can only have two hooks on the umbrella rig . they make them with 3 , 4 , 5 or 6 arms. they are smaller and castable. they should be kick ass on stripers .
    Snap swivels are not considered hooks ........ just put something on the 4 arms w/o hooks and put something w/hook on 1 about a foot or 2 behind the other 4 ........ they usuually hit the 1 laging behind ........ then it's legal

Comment

They will be kick ass on stripers. After trolling the mini umbrellas, I realized that a castable umbrella would work awesome just as well. So I started to invent a castable version since none of my searches for such a thing yielded any results....then I found out that there was such a thing called the alabama rig although it wasn't well known yet But I did make prototypes for perch that also work.

In reality, you don't need all the hooks. They will hit the trailer almost every time. After all, it's the weak, singled out one from the school. If you want, make it so that there are two twin trailers with hooks, but you really only need 1.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

The manufactured alabama rigs don't have a center connection point, only 5 equal length wires. It would probably be near impossible to cast with a leader to make a single lure stand out and with only 1 hook might not track very well. Since MD allows 2 hooks that might make it track better. Not sure how casting it from a yak would work, so who's gonna be the guinea pig?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
          The manufactured alabama rigs don't have a center connection point, only 5 equal length wires. It would probably be near impossible to cast with a leader to make a single lure stand out and with only 1 hook might not track very well. Since MD allows 2 hooks that might make it track better. Not sure how casting it from a yak would work, so who's gonna be the guinea pig?
          Yes they do ........ they have 4 arms and 1 center arm. You bend the 4 out and the center 1 stays straight so it's further out to begin with. You can hook directly to it if you don't want a leader. That or make them with the center arm much longer.

Comment

1 of the vendors coming to our swap-meet has some for sale, 15 bucks

Comment

Working...
            X