Stripers in the Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers in the Bay?

So I'm curious as to if I can catch any stripers in the Bay right now. I'm in Salisbury, and have easy acces to much of the Bay. I know its still a little early but I went on a charter out of Rudee Va last weekend and they said that there is definately some big fish in the bay right not. This was not a boat that usually runs out of Rudee, normally they are at Solomons Island. So this really made me think about catching some nice Rocks right now, I know it would be catch and release, but I dont keep much during the regular season anyways.
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

There are always resident fish, but around 3-5 years of age they start to become part of the migration. The larger fish in VA will start moving further north over the next couple of months. I wouldn't know where to find them in the bay right now to be honest...speaking specifically of the upper bay. By April they will be in the upper bay and potomac which will offer your best chances to catch a pre spawn striper.

Perhaps others have more knowledge, but this is all I have for stripers at this time of year. Unless I can find temps higher than 47 degrees or so, I consider it a little too cold to catch them in good numbers, but that's just my experience.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

They is a good chance they are still at the bay bridge and kent island. I wouldnt doubt they are deeper and on structure.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

They are catchin at the BB ........ not numbers but all are in the 30+ range ....... fish deep

Comment

I thought about fishing the deeper edges of the rock piles at the bay bridge. Use big baits (10" BKD's and fish slow).

Comment

they are there. you need to work the deep channel edges to get one to bite. they will be moving closer to shore shortly, ive caught some in the 30+ inch range from the beach at sandy point with a single 6/0 circle hook and a bloodworm. couple more weeks

Comment

Working...
            X