Inflatable PFDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflatable PFDs

I am in the market for a new PFD. I am toying with the idea of an inflatable. I am tired of the bulky feeling of my current el cheapo from Bass Pro. I am sure a higher quality vest will be more comfortable, but I am thinking of switching to an inflatable. I rarely use the pockets on my pfd, so I won't be missing much on the storage.

Any experience with using them? I know Ron uses one, how do you like yours? Any recommendations on one?
    <insert witty comment here>

I use a West Marine offshore series. It is very comfortable. I bought the offshore series because it is somewhat longer. Some of the other types seem so short. The reason being the larger volume of co2 for the offshore series, to float a person higher. Overall, I like it quite a bit. It seems as good as any of the rest. I also like the hydrostatic automatic inflation vs the disc or tablet type of automatic vest. The hydrostatic release actually senses a slight amount of water pressure. Whereas, the disc type disolves a small disc and lets the striker through to the co2 bottle. There are some customers that come in to the store, to buy new rearming kits, who complain that the disc type have inflated by merely getting wet and not being in the water. It seems as a rare occurrence.

Good luck.

Comment

I've been thinking about that too. What kind of maintenance does it need? Annual pressure checks? Valve replacement?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Replace the hydrostatic mechanism anytime the red zone shows or every five years.

Comment

I have the Hobie manual inflatable PFD- if I need to inflate it, I should be able to pull the tab- It is comfortable and easy to wear- I haven't had to use it so I can't say how it works or review it that way- I got tired of wearing the bulky Stolquist (Hobie) PFD and went with more comfort- as I get older, I opt for comfort every time- I have a spare CO2 rearm kit in case I need to rearm it, but so far so good.

P.S. in hot weather, the inflatable is way cooler
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

A decade ago, I was interested in an inflatable pfd. I visited several local boating supply stores and tried them on. I did not like the feel of the pfd around my neck and shoulders and did not buy one. Obviously, many other boaters like them a lot. I suggest that before you buy one, find a store that has them in stock and try them on for fit and comfort. There probably is some difference between brands.

Also consider if you want a manually inflatable model or one that inflates automatically when you enter the water.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

i have both a vest (auto) and belt type (manual). i wear the belt type every trip. the auto inflate can be set to manual and both have manual inflation tubes to add air if needed. just need to check the cylinder to make sure the seal hasnt been punctured and probably not necessary but replace every 5 years to be safe. PFDs can only save you if you are wearing them.
                Last edited by surfdog; 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

i have a stohlquist A-SEA PFD, and it has never bothered me and i always wear it. i really like having the 2 pockets on the front too. i have been eying out the hobie inflatable though, but the only reason why i would buy it is to double on the boat during those "maybe i shouldn't be out here" days. i would like to try it out though. does backyard have them?
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X