Thanks for the help today at Bass Pro Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the help today at Bass Pro Shop

I'm new to kayak fishing and got some good insight and advice from the guys today at BPS. They told me about this site and that I needed to get on here to get some good start up advice. I grew up fishing lakes and ponds in Georgia and I'm new to the Bay and the rivers around here. Does anybody have any advice on getting a first kayak? What are the must haves? Any advice will be appreciated!

First off welcome aboard, and as far as the yaks go the best thing is to try out as many different makes and models as you can, to see which one/ones you like.
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I just got into yak fishing myself. I got the Ascend A10 for christmas and although I haven't tried any other yak I can say I'm definitely satisfied with this one. From what I've been told it is a great starter yak. It has great leg room for a sit inside yak. There is a similar model called the Ascend FS10 that is already rigged for fishing (rod holders, bunjee straps, etc). I'm currently rigging my A10 to be like the FS10 and it's been really fun. Plus is not nearly as expensive as just going right for the fishing yak and you can end up with pretty much the same thing. I'm sure there are plenty of nicer options out there, especially if price is not a huge issue. But the A10 is great in my book. If you would like to see my build it's the A10 project thread in the dry dock section of the forum. It's definitely worth a look.
      Ascend A10

Comment

welcome guys! no matter what kayak you get spend the most on your PPE, PFD, knife, flag whistle/small air horn, small first aid kit and dry bag to keep cell phone dry. every thing else is secondary to safety

Comment

In addition to the safety stuff, I recommend getting a good seat and a cart. Some of the places I launch can be busy or the parking isn't right by the ramp, so I like to rig up and wheel my yak to the water. I've had bad luck in the past leaving stuff unattended while moving my car. A cart that fits into the front hatch solves that problem.

Dry bags in different sizes are helpful, too. I have a smaller one for some tools, a jacket, and my keys and wallet. I have another one for a change of clothes for when I fish in the winter and fishing farther away from the launch than a short paddle.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice to meet you yesterday. Hopefully we'll see you on the water soon.

Comment

Welcome. I would get a 12’ SOT non-angler. Then, mount rod holders where you want them. Rigging your own yak is just as fun as being out on it.
              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to getting mine

Comment

Good to met you too. I'm going to go to the deal this weekend in Pasadena with my son - hopefully i can find something cool for me! I want to get one before the spring when i can get out some here in Annapolis when i get some time off. Thanks for the help and if i see you ill make sure to say hello

Comment

Working...
                  X