Cane Pole Craziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cane Pole Craziness

I'm going to offer up a technique I picked up last year....a cane pole. Stay with me here.

I fish a marsh behind my house for crappie, blue gills and the occasional bass. It's not a great spot, but the small fish are plentiful and is good enough if I want to fish but not make a big deal out of it. I use this area to practice some techniques. One thing I tried is a 16' telescoping cane pole with a small reel.

I've found it's the most effective way to catch these fish because I can wade to an area and very precisely present a lure, like a grub, shad dart, beetle spin or small crank bait. This is most effective in areas that are too treacherous to cast, like a big ol' brush pile. I can drop the lure right into a hole, lightly jig and almost guarantee a fish if they are there.

So I thought the same technique could apply to kayak fishing, which as it turns out, it does. Perch is the obvious choice here, but I've also caught rockfish doing the same thing. I saw JA Vail's post on the low water at the severn, showing all the submerged brush where he's found fish and it makes me think that the cane pole could pull in some pickerel as well since the presentation can be very precise.

I will also hold it out along the bank and troll along. It is very effective for pan fish.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

You've probably already heard of it, but spider rigging takes your idea to the nth degree. If you have not heard of it google it and your mind will be blown with some of the picutures you'll find...

I wonder how it would be spider rigging from a kayak?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I have seen it in some of my fishing magazines. It seems a bit extreme to catch some panfish, but to each their own But that's exactly the type of rod I use.

Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I think they call those bream poles in other areas. I like the idea of being able to mark how much line you had out against the lenght of the rod so that you can present your lure at the same depth every time.

What length does it collapse to?

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          You've probably already heard of it, but spider rigging takes your idea to the nth degree. If you have not heard of it google it and your mind will be blown with some of the picutures you'll find...

I wonder how it would be spider rigging from a kayak?
          Setting up a six rod hub aluminum holder would be easy for a welder. You could mount it on a Trident fairly easily, but it would be fairly challenging on peddle yak...probably use the sail mount-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My kayak fishing style tends toward the least amount of gear I need to fish on a trip. I have seen other anglers who carry many rods and quite a large amount of tackle and gear with them (most of which never gets touched).

From that perspective, I have some real concerns about trying to manage multiple 10-15 ft rods from the confined space on a kayak. It is easy enough to tangle 2 or 3 six-foot rods with a poorly aimed backcast. I don't doubt that an angler could manage lots of long rods, but it present an extra layer of logistics and time for rigging, deploying, and put-away at the end of a trip.

If you try this technique, please share photos and experiences. For me, 2 or 3 short rods are plenty.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It collapses to about 3 feet.
              I had a 20' one but it didn't have a reel, which made it much more difficult to use. The best part is, they're only $30 or so at BPS. Pretty cheap for a lot of fun

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
              X