Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid Backing

Hi all,
    I recently picked up an Abu Garcia Revo STX over the weekend and plan to spool it with braid soon. For my other conventionals and spinning reels I just used mono backing, but for my Avet SX it clearly states not to use mono backing, but use hockey stick tape. I used that it works fine.

So for my STX should I just use mono or go with the hockey tape? I am thinking that I can get more braid on the spool with the tape, but I just wanted to see what you guys do.

MYT

i dont use mono backing on any of my baitcasters. just use hockey tape or electrical tape and you should be fine. remember to pack the braid tightly on the spool so it wont dig or slip.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

What is the reason that you should not use mono backing?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I have a little bit of mono backing on my Revo SX. It works fine.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The tape works fine. Then just fill with braid. Most all of my reels are like that. When I spool reels up at work, I just put some electrical tape on the spool. Some folks use mono to limit the amount of braid they need to fill the spool. That works too. It like just using a top shot of braid.

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
            i dont use mono backing on any of my baitcasters. just use hockey tape or electrical tape and you should be fine. remember to pack the braid tightly on the spool so it wont dig or slip.
            Same here... I just use the arbor tape that comes in the PowerPro box.
            2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
              What is the reason that you should not use mono backing?
              Here is what Avet says about it: http://www.avetreels.net/BRAIDED_LINE_PRECAUTIONS.php

Thanks guys! I will go ahead and use my tape!

Comment

I never understood why the need to do this and not the manufacturer to just let the spool not hold as much.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                  Here is what Avet says about it: http://www.avetreels.net/BRAIDED_LINE_PRECAUTIONS.php

Thanks guys! I will go ahead and use my tape!
                  Yep. I read the same thing from avet and it made sense to me. Those Abu's look awesome.

Comment

I've been spooling my entire spool with braid. Always end up having to get at least 300 yards... I was wondering why they even sold 150 Yd spools. Now I get it, you guys fill it up with something first. Doh!

Yak Fish, I think the reels are designed to hold mono which is thicker. All the guys using mono would be saying "Why don't they make the spool hold more line?!?"
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice pick on the STX, MTYM. I was wondering what you were going to buy.

I do use mono backing on all of my reels that have braid, then I load it up with 150 yds of braid to fill it up. The braid gives me farther casts on my surf rods, but I can't cast beyond 150 yds yet. It's also cheaper to load than 300 yds of braid.

Most times you don't even use the full spool during fishing. If you fill the reel up with braid only, the lower half is "like new." When the upper half of braid gets a bit worn, you can flip it to get maximum use of the line.
                      Last edited by tufnik; 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                        I've been spooling my entire spool with braid. Always end up having to get at least 300 yards... I was wondering why they even sold 150 Yd spools. Now I get it, you guys fill it up with something first. Doh!

Yak Fish, I think the reels are designed to hold mono which is thicker. All the guys using mono would be saying "Why don't they make the spool hold more line?!?"
                        Hahaha, I guess that's true. I spooled my whole trolling reel with braid one time...won't do that again. It gets expensive buying the 300 yards of braid

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

Thanks tufnik... its a beauty too! LOL Can't wait to cast it... I will probably test it out tomorrow at the pond behind my job, I just spooled it yesterday. For my Surf gear I always go with backing... But for my conventionals I usually just fill them up! LOL I'm no power caster with my low profile so it lasts me a few seasons. You figure I cut off maybe 10 yards a season, I just keep on casting even if the spool isn't full. Especially if its a reel I bottom fish with! But I usually change it before it gets too low, just to do it I guess...LOL

Comment

For your first low profile baitcaster, you sure didn't mess around. That's a good one. I was looking to get that one, but I went for the cheaper Revo SX-HS. Let us know how it casts. If you fill it with braid, let me know how much it takes. I'm guessing over 200 yds of 30#.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                            X