VA flounder regs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA flounder regs

new VA flounder regs for 2012-16 1/2'' min 4 fish limit....No closed season. 16 1/2 is small!
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Wow...interesting. Might be making some flounder trips to VA this year!
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yeah, the big ones are at Norfolk/VB. Of course there's OC, Lewes and other places too. I guess they come in around May, no?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow... I would have had so many keepers last year at that size. I bet they go way up next year!
        Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
          Wow... I would have had so many keepers last year at that size. I bet they go way up next year!
          Yep!! I am really surprised that they made this move... Well this might make it easier for me to get my limit this year

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
            Yep!! I am really surprised that they made this move... Well this might make it easier for me to get my limit this year
            Maybe next time you'll catch a big flounder like me guy...ah heh heh heh
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

16.5" is good for strip bait... There's barley any meat on such a small fish.
              2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

When I caught flounder in Texas in January, my buddy told me the limit there is only 14". In my opinion that is too small.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I am from the eastern shore and have been fishing the back bays around Chincoteague for years. When the min size was 19" you could barely ever catch a keeper I mean it was like one in 40 fish or so usually except for fall when the odds were better. A 17" flounder makes for some decent table fare if you get a couple so I'm sort of glad the size is back down as long as the fishery is sustainable. I am a huge advocate of catch an release but when you spend as much time fishing as we do it is nice to be able to go out for a few hours and come back with a meal once in a while. I remember when minimum size was around 15 in for flatties in Md and to go out and get dinner was a given but none of us locals ever really killed tiny flounder like that. Considering commercial fisherman are aloud to whack 12" flounders a 16 1/2" isn't all that small. Always practice catch and release and if you kill fish don't take more then you need for the table is how I have always been.

Comment

It looks like the MD regs are still 3 @ 18". Last year I caught my first keeper flounder at the CBBT that was 18" and got four nice filets off of it. I would think a 16.5" would still have pretty nice filets...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                    X