New Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rod

Unfortunately I went out and bought quite a few rods last year before taking a look at any of Shawn Kimbro's brilliant work. I picked up a massive surf rod early last year hoping that it would make fishing from the bottom of the conowingo dam much easier. It doesn't....the thing is huge and it wears me out something fierce. Later in the year I decided to pick up something a little smaller. I picked up some relatively cheap rod reel combo at dicks and I've been conflicted about it's performance. It's about 6'. It's a heavy power, fast to extra fast action rod. I can't seem to find it online. But I still felt like I needed to go smaller. Having now broke the bank I ended up buying a $20 samurai rod reel combo from dicks. It's..........small. The action is too slow. Now having read Shawn Kimbro's tips on picking a rod and reel I feel like I should look into a 6'8" medium power fast action rod. I know I can still fish with my heavy power rod but I feel determined to find the right fit for me. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good rod or preferably rod reel combo that won't make me cry when I open my wallet? I was considering this...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...10210573/37713
    Ascend A10

The Carbonlites are really nice rods. I bought one for my father for Christmas and almost kept it for myself. As luck would have it, Bass Pro is doing their first ever rod trade in, so you can trade in one of the rods you don't like for a coupon toward to purchase of a new rod. The coupon doesn't work for combos, though, so you'll have to do some ciphering to figure out the best deal. With the coupon, you could get a Johnny Morris rod, which is the next step up from the Carbonlite, for $90.

I'm not sure about the micro guides, though. It might be tough for your leader knot to pass through. One think I don't like about Bass Pro rods is that the tip top tends to be small, which means the knot can hang up in it. I've found a triple surgeon's knot to be a good thin knot, but it can still hang up with a 30lb leader.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

are you coming to the swap meet on sat? i have nice combo that might interest you.
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
        are you coming to the swap meet on sat? i have nice combo that might interest you.
        I hope to make it but I work in the afternoon. What time is it? I didn't see any specific time on the swap meet thread.
        Ascend A10

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
          As luck would have it, Bass Pro is doing their first ever rod trade in, so you can trade in one of the rods you don't like for a coupon toward to purchase of a new rod.
          I heard about that. Do you have any information on it? I can't seem to find anything about it on the site.
          Ascend A10

Comment

Originally posted by Splitscreen View Post
            I hope to make it but I work in the afternoon. What time is it? I didn't see any specific time on the swap meet thread.
            sent u a pm
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Try this link:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...dar.cfm&loc=12

With the specials at bass pro, you might be able to put together a combo for less. The swap meet runs from 07:00 so you can get there early!
              Hobie PA 12

Comment

You gotta look at the back cover of the spring fishing classic circular. It's available on the bps site. The rod tradin starts this Friday. As soon as you enter the main entrance, there will be a table to your right. Someone is there to take your rod and exchange it for a coupon. The rod has to be in working order.

The coupon gives you a discount based on the price of the rod. For the carbonlites the rod will be discounted 10 dollars. That is on top of the sale price. The exact numbers are on the back of that circular with the price ranges.

I will be there friday to tradin a rod for a ul carbonlite.
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                  You gotta look at the back cover of the spring fishing classic circular. It's available on the bps site. The rod tradin starts this Friday. As soon as you enter the main entrance, there will be a table to your right. Someone is there to take your rod and exchange it for a coupon. The rod has to be in working order.

The coupon gives you a discount based on the price of the rod. For the carbonlites the rod will be discounted 10 dollars. That is on top of the sale price. The exact numbers are on the back of that circular with the price ranges.

I will be there friday to tradin a rod for a ul carbonlite.
                  I went yesterday to get the UL carbonlite rod, but it was sold! The sales rep didn't know when he'd get more in stock, so I went around putting my new carbonlite reel (which I got using the reel trade-in last week) into different UL rods to feel them out. I'm glad I took my reel with me, because for some reason it wouldn't fit inside a shimano UL rod that I was looking at.

I settled on a 5' St. Croix Premier UL rod. I was surprised at how light it was when I picked it up! I was hoping to try it out at a local lake this afternoon, but my wife asked me to stay in to help with the boys. I'm looking forward to trying out the new UL outfit soon.

So from the trade-in, I got 15 dollars off, and used my rewards points to pay a grand total of $0 on the rod .
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

Working...
                  X