Gill Net Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gill Net Ban

You can send information about support for the Gill net ban at the site below.

http://www.votervoice.net/core.aspx?...svisited=false

I did. Sucks to be a commercial fisherman these days but something's gotta give. Nobody wins if the bay is depleted. I thought the Ghost Pot project is pretty cool - pay commercial fisherman to hunt down and remove abandoned crab pots on the bottom. Everybody wins, including the crabs fish and turtles who otherwise would die in there.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

One issue with this bill is it bans "all" gill netting, including menhaden aka. Bunker.
      Commercial crabbers almost exclusively use bunker. Plus bait for we surf casters would be gone.

I see a lot of debate on this bill. Would be great for striped bass but I think too many gray areas exist

Guess I'd be strictly a jetty person (and yak) if this were to pass

Comment

There are plenty of fish traps around for menhaden as bait. When they lift those things there are all kinds of fish in those type nets. There can be menhaden for bait even if it takes a throw net. Menhaden stocks are already in trouble.

As far as being a commercial fisherman, they can do as in other states, hook and line.

Besides MTD, you are a Yak fisherman now.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X