Question regarding kayak launching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding kayak launching

When you use one of the county boat ramps to launch your yaks, do you have to buy a permit?

Do you have to pay the $5 at Truxton park?

Just wondering.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

It used to be free for car-top launchers. I guess the $5 for all is new for this year.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
      When you use one of the county boat ramps to launch your yaks, do you have to buy a permit?

Do you have to pay the $5 at Truxton park?

Just wondering.

John
      If you launch your kayak at Truxton park and do not have a trailer, functionally you don't need to pay the fee. The only way the county knows if a car parked in the lot used the boat ramp and not the park itself is the presence of a trailer.

When I do launch there, I don't use the main boat ramp anyway. I slide my kayak down a short grassy slope to the small beach.

There is no fee at Jonas Green. There is a fee to get into Sandy Pt State park.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have launched at Truxton park, when the attendant is there. It is free for car top kayak launching. The fee is for the ramps. The ramp fee used to be just on the weekend.

Comment

I wonder if it is the same in Caroline county?

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Don't know, but in Charles County it varies from park to park- some parks charge a user fee to get in- like Gilbert Run is $4 per vehicle and free ramp to launch once you are in the park-

Point Lookout has a user fee to get into the park and a per head charge-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
              I wonder if it is the same in Caroline county?

John
              seems each county has their own policy. i've probly looked them all up (google 'county name' ramps landings) but can't keep them straight.

here's caroline :

http://tourcaroline.com/outdoor-recr...amps-landings/

it says fee/permit for all trailers, and has a ph number where you might be able to get clarification. i've tried phone clrification with kent county and was told by phone that it was free for kayak, but find a sign at the parking area with a written policy on the sign that seems clear they want a fee for all launches, trailer or not. written policy rules in that case. but whatever policy you're following, the officer on the scene rules.

traditionally, another option was to park legally at side of road and launch next to a bridge; assumably in the respective county's right of way, ie not trespassing on private property.
              Last edited by Southerly; 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X