Braid slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid slip

I had one of my reels break on me at the end of last season or so I thought. I was using a hula popper and every time I tried to set the hook on a bass my line slipped and I thought the drag on my pflueger president must have broken. I just respooled it with mono and tied the line to a table and cranked away and the drag held tight. Does this sound like braid slipping? I have heard of this happening but never had the problem myself. I get pretty mad when i loose a fish due to gear so I am hesitant to even use the thing but it seems like the magibraid may have been the culprit. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Backwater View Post
    I had one of my reels break on me at the end of last season or so I thought. I was using a hula popper and every time I tried to set the hook on a bass my line slipped and I thought the drag on my pflueger president must have broken. I just respooled it with mono and tied the line to a table and cranked away and the drag held tight. Does this sound like braid slipping? I have heard of this happening but never had the problem myself. I get pretty mad when i loose a fish due to gear so I am hesitant to even use the thing but it seems like the magibraid may have been the culprit. What do you guys think?
    It is what you suspect. Always put a few wraps of mono or some electrical tape on the spool under the braid. I had the same thing happen on a spinning reel at the start of the third season with braid. The good news is that braid behaves when you strip it onto the carpet. I just taped the spool and wound it back on. It's been fine ever since.

Comment

What kind of knot did you use? I use an arbor knot and pull the mono snug on the spool. No tape used. No problems on my reels.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        What kind of knot did you use? I use an arbor knot and pull the mono snug on the spool. No tape used. No problems on my reels.
        Looks like the problem was with braid and was remedied when he went to mono

Comment

Yep. Just confirming. I too spool maybe a couple yards of mono first, attach braid to the mono, and then top off with braid. No tape used. I had slippage too, but I didn't use the right knot.
          Last edited by tufnik; 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The proper term is Backing. I work at a tackle shop in OC and spooled countless reels with braid. You should always put ATLEAST a few yards of backing on before spooling with braid.Backing will prevent the braid from "Slipping" on the spool. On larger reels that can hold 300, or 400+ yards of braid you can use backing to reduce the amount of braid required. Unless your fishing from the beach 300+ yards is not necessary and becomes very costly. Some new reels like the Penn Battle have special reels that have a rubber core that allows braid to bite into it, I still have mono backing on all of my Battles because who needs 500 yds of line...even if you do work at a shop

I use a Uni knot to attach directly to the spool with the mono, and a Uni-Uni for the braid-mono connection. An arbor or other knot can be used for first connection, Uni is just fast.
            -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Working...
            X