No announcement yet.

April Meet & Greet at Fletcher's Boat House, DC :: April 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the most stellar day but a great day for my 2012 species list...

Fished all morning for stipers up near chain bridge - poppers and swimbaits... nada. Had one really good hook up on a bkd but got unbuttoned, no telling what it was, but no slime on the line so could have been

Drifted downstream to meet up with Bill, Sun and Ryan and a few others, was a cool sight to see the river taken over by MKF - great to meet/see you guys.

Caught a few shad where Bill was fishing and headed down stream. I can't remember who, but someone suggested I jig deep with a bkd..hahah, thank you - thats what I did almost the rest if the day.

The tally:
    A dozen or so hickory, a channel cat dink(1st this year), a blue cat 5lbs, a white perch dink, a decent smallmouth2 lbs(1st of year) and a walleye 17inch or so (1st ever). Almost everything, except the perch, was caught on the chartreuse bkd jiggin deep in 30-60ft of water. I even caught a monster hickory on it!

Last cast of the day was a double. Fin

Oh yeah, jsnyd86, congrats on the american! Can't wait to hook into a big one and put my 1000 stradic to the test.

Made my first video, ill post later - need a fisheye lens and a better mount though.

Not too shabby; clear water, good temps, good people and a few new species.

Justin

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun guys! I fish there sometimes during the week from shore opted to check out new water last weekend instead.

Justin, if you have BKD pictures you should post them on their site on facebook. They have s running list of species caught on them and I think that may be a new one. I'm hoping to be the first to get a snakehead on one!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

awesome pics, see any or hear about any stripers caught?
        sigpic

Comment

Aaahhh, camelbird = Justin. You're a dead-ringer for one of my buddies named Rich, and I can never seem to put a new name to a previously familiar face. I'll get it one of these days.

Anyway, I might've suggested the BKD because I was kicking myself for not bringing any. I saw a lot of nice arches, which I rarely see with my fish finder. The walleye and hickory on a BKD is pretty cool. I've caught some white cats on BKDs by the 301 bridge, which cracked me up. It's not too surprising that a nice blue cat hit it since they'll eat pretty much anything that they can fit in their mouth.

John--think of it as an investment to make cooking your catch more efficient. My kitchen is awful, and anything to improve it would be a worthwhile investment.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Got to the river around 1 pm ran into a couple of guys getting off the water.. Struggled with shad catching zero.. Decided to deep jig small spoons in 40-60 feet of water and had good success with fat roe perch to 12"...

I also caught two 24" blue cats on the spoon good fighters on my ultralite.

Decided to call it a day early around 4 pm.

Sorry i missed the main group my brother could not get out of his own way Saturday morning...

Meadeo
            2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

That's a nice mess of really fat fish. I wish I had thought of jigging for perch earlier, but I had might sights set on shad.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Wow Meadeo, that is one huge perch!

Late report - sorry. Been busy preparing the house for sale. That was one of the reasons I had to go fishing Saturday. Too much stress from all the de-cluttering and planning.

The M&G was a good time, as usual. Some highlights were:
                1. Catching my first shad. I got some tips from some shore fishermen who were literally catching them every other cast...and it still took about an hour of casting to hook one. But it was worth it when it jumped 3 feet in the air next to me. Here's my first shad:

Here's another:

2. Chexone's sturgeon! We think he actually hooked a catfish, then got snagged on a boulder, then got snagged on his other line which felt like a fish, then remained snagged on the previously mentioned boulder. It was fun fighting the boulder though...wish we could have seen it. LOL! He also snagged his anchor on a boulder, which I borrowed to fix some tangles in my line while he tried to un-snag his rig. Thanks Mike.
                Here's Mike fighting the boulder:

3. A 24" blue catfish. He fought hard, and was the first fish ever to pull that much drag on my Luna 253.

I've also joined the blogging gang, and wrote up a better story of the day here.
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice report guys.

Sun, keep up the good blogging.

I didn't realize TWO people caught walleye. Even more awesome.

Sounds like everybody caught fish. Good day of fishing overall.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                  X