Have you turtled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you turtled?

Have you turtled? Why'd you turtle? What did you lose?

(intentional turtles do not count)
    No
    70.00%
    Yes
    30.00%
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Not yet... when it does happen, I hope it's summer.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback

Comment

fell out of my revo because my buddy paddle speared me after I rammed his malibu. Does that count?
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        fell out of my revo because my buddy paddle speared me after I rammed his malibu. Does that count?
        yeah for sure.... define "buddy"...
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Not yet but I am sure it will happen someday. And I need to work on better securing my gear because it would really suck if I did right now....

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
            Were you guys jousting?

I've had a couple close calls but never fell out or tipped over. Both of them were cause by idiot boaters and point blank wakes while I was anchored or getting ready to land.

My buddy did flip my old Outback. I was helping him adjust the pedals, and I pushed off when everything was adjusted. The next thing I know, the yak was upside down and he was in the water. I have no idea how it happened and couldn't re-create it with my father in his Outback.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I haven't. There were times where I've intentionally leaned as far as I could in a turn (like to the point where the gunwale of my yak was damn near level with the water surface) and it just wouldn't go over. I guess I'd have to be blind-sideed with a big wake while doing something like that to flip it.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Not yet, but the odds are I will.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Yes. It was when I was hit by a power boat, during last October M&G. I lost two fishing rods, which were in the trolling holders, a deep cycle battery and other odds and ends. His prop caught my electric motor and damaged it beyond repair. In all there were about $2400 in damages, covered by his insurance. My kayak was bright yellow. I was wearing a hunter orange fleece hoodie. I also had a bright orange YakAttack flag on the kayak.

It is something that I could not imagine would happen. When I have operated boats in the past, I was alway intent on watching the water in front of the boat. This is possibly, because as a kid we would paddle way out into the rivers on old truck inner tubes. Maybe, I imagine that there are still people who swim out far in the bay. In any event, I have alway been an observant operator, for obstructions, people or other boats. I am saying this as, don't think it can't happen. I now keep two life jackets in the kayak. I think, I am going to get a belt type inflatable to wear. I have air horns for the kayak and a flare gun. I know most have heard this before, but there are alot of new folks on here this year.

Comment

Twice so far

First time I was at point lookout. I pulled a stringer of croaker into the boat and didn’t realize how heavy it was. I yanked harder and once the fish cleared the water it was two late. My weight shifted and I was in the drink. Happened really fast. The yak stayed upright somehow so no gear lost.

Second time was my first surf landing. The surf was almost flat calm (less than 2') so I was cocky. Left the rudder down, Left the rods and tackle un tethered on deck, etc.. I made it thru the far break without issue but I found a group of older women and children directly in front of my landing zone. I made a turn to the left and caught a small wave sideways in 2' of water. I leaned into it but the Kayak still did an immediate barrel roll. I think my rudder might have caught bottom. I pop up to the enjoyment of a crowded beach and said group of women and children. My gear was either washing into shore or soaking in the shore break. I held onto one rod but the other went missing.

Somehow when I rolled I grabbed a pair of goggles off the bottom in a mad attempt reaching for gear. For the next 5 mins the show consisted of Ladies and children finding my gear and bringing it back to me. They even found my lost rod which had been soaking under the shore break for 5 mins. I traded the kid that retrieved my rod the goggles that mysteriously appeared in my hand when I flipped.

My friends got a hell of a laugh.

Comment

One a long time ago while fishing a bridge piling for flounder. I had a big flounder hooked, but then a power boater came racing by and the wake hit me broadside and tipped the kayak, while I had a flounder on. my line I could have forced myself back upright, but I was afraid that I may pull a muscle in my back doing so, so I dove instead, flipped my kayak back uprght and jumped back ontop. It was surprisingly easy to do...it was summer time. I lost some tackle and two rods. Everthing else stayed in my milkcrate.

Comment

Not yet....but as the saying goes..."There are those that have, and those that will".
                        Hobie PA 12

Comment

Remember, they always say it is not if you turtled it is when you will turtle.....

Comment

Yep. Was getting a tow from a bass boat. The helpful boater wasn't making progress in strong current, so he gunned it. My yak, tied to the bow of and running parallel with the boat, did an alligator roll. Lost a lot of gear.

As they say, it's not if, it's when.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

A few summers back I flipped my tarpon 120 on a float in the Potomac between violets lock and swains lock. It was mostly because I wasn't paying attention. I was floating sideways down river and before I realized it I was on a rock that was just sticking above the surface. Before I could react I got dumped over the rock. Luckily, the water behind the rock was calm and only a couple a feet deep. I was able to feel around and recover almost everything. I think I only lost a pair of pliers and I probably could have recovered them too, but I forgot I had them with me and stopped looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X