Ebay Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Search

This is a kayak w/a few extras--just wanted to know opinions on this. She's a little less than 10' though. Me, 5'7" & 170. Since I'm a beginner & have never been on one of these before, I have to start learning, not go into this blind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
    JoAnn Elliott

Yeah I looked at that little boat last night too. I think if you were fishing lakes and creeks it would be great! I'd be worried about the length out on the bay. Could be rough sailing in bumpy water.
    HOWEVER, there are a couple guys on here that fish 10ft Ascend kayaks and seem to take them everywhere! This little Hobie would be at least as sound as those yaks.
    PLUS...can't beat that price.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I think a Sport would be a very nice small fishing kayak. This one comes with a few items that will get you started too, especially the cart and fish finder. If you can get it for under $1000, it is a good option. I don't know anyone on here with a sport as most of the Hobie owners own the Revo, Outback or Pro Angler. We like to carry a lot of gear and most of us would easily be over the 225lb limit of the Sport.

When you get a Hobie, you really want to know what year it is. He says he bought it in 2008 which tells you it's no newer than that but it could be older especially if they bought it as a demo. I don't think you want anything older than a 2007 as there were some plastic issues. Do some google searches on it. I had a 2007 and developed a drive well crack which is a common issue on the older ones. Each year there have been some nice updates, specifically the click and go drive and the rudder that raises/lowers by pull cables. The one you're showing has neither. I'm pretty sure 2009 incorporates the updates so if you can snag that year or newer used, you'll be happier.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Laffingrrl View Post
        This is a kayak w/a few extras--just wanted to know opinions on this. She's a little less than 10' though. Me, 5'7" & 170. Since I'm a beginner & have never been on one of these before, I have to start learning, not go into this blind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
        First .......... Welcome aboard ....... we need some ladies here .... so a very special welcome ......... as the others said ....... it's big enough for your size and great for rivers and lakes but it might be a little small for the bay ........

Bay should be 12 ft or better ........ also it's better if you can inspect and test the yak to make sure it fits you and doesn't have any cracks etc.

As a beginner, you might consider testing a couple before you buy .........

That said .......... if you ........ from the looks of the pics ..... it doesn't look bad and it's a fair deal ........

Comment

Thats a pretty sweet little kayak. I bet it would probably be ok in the bay even. There's a difference between a Hobie that's almost 10 feet and and a little sit-in kayak. I wonder how fast the torqeedo would push that!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, I agree. It's rather short for the Bay. It'll be Ok for rivers and fairly calm conditions. In the Bay, chops can unexpectedly go a few feet, and longer yaks are better designed to cope with potentially tipsy situations.

As you get more experienced, I imagine you'd want to go out in the Bay. I personally would feel uncomfortable with that yak. It's a matter of feeling confident with your yak when you go out in open water, especially when weather conditions can be marginal.

Being a short yak, it'll be quite maneuverable though. On straight-away it would not track as well as a longer yak. If that 2008 yak is similar to the new one, capacity is only 225 lbs, which is rather low. But that's what you'd expect for a short yak.

For a beginner, it'll be fine. Keep mind, many newbies eventually upgrade when they want to fish the Bay.

Hope that helps.
            Last edited by tufnik; 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The sport is very capable and can handle the bay with your size! It's us heavier folks that bring too much stuff with them that have an issue with it!

Welcome to the site!! It's great to have some female paddlers around
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X