Losing Spinner Appeal on the Yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Spinner Appeal on the Yak?

Since I got my first baitcaster last Fall, I've been using BCs exclusively on the yak. Probably did hundreds of casts with my BCs. I would bring a spinner on yak trips, but only as back up.

Yesterday on my fishing trip at Occoquan, I used my primary light tackle Shimano Symetre spinner jigging for crappies. First time using a spinner since I started using BCs on the yak last Fall. It was annoying to have the spinner in the way hitting my knee or bumping the yak. The balance felt "different" from my BC set-ups. I also had no thumb control. I then switched to my back-up reel, my BC. Boy, what a relief. The BC was much easier to use.

What's happening? Am I getting spoiled with the BC? Is the spinner losing it's appeal on the yak? Have you guys experienced such a shift in attitude?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Hahaha!!! I've had the same issue. I switched to BCs a few years ago and then bought a new UL rig last fall. I've had to re-teach myself how to cast the spinning reel. If the feel of the fish on the UL wasn't so fun I would throw the damn thing away, I hate spinning reels now.

Comment

Spinning or Baitcaster

Two different tools.

Two things that I can suggest: (1)shorten the rod handle of the spinner to about six inches and then add to it enough quarters(coins) rolled up to balance the rod. Hold them there with some duct tape. It takes about six to eight coins. (2) use the spinning rod for just the light and ultra-light lures, less than 1/2oz.

Comment

Working...
      X