New guy question for hobie gang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy question for hobie gang

So how do you guys deal with the launch? Today was my first day so I went down to a boat ramp, walked it out until I could Put the drive in then sort of turned onto its side to get the cart out. Sound right?

Next, any tips for taking it in through he surf? Seems like with the waves, I wont have the "calm" to get the cart out. Advice?

Lift the end of the kayak and the wheels will just fall out. And I will push off the shore with the paddle until I'm deep enough to put the peddles inn.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
      Lift the end of the kayak and the wheels will just fall out. And I will push off the shore with the paddle until I'm deep enough to put the peddles inn.
      +1

It's more of a pain to come back in. I don't know of a better way to put the cart in other than reaching underwater and getting my arms all wet....not that big of a deal unless it's November - February.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

from a beach or concrete ramp - i usually set it mostly in the water with the drive just laying on its side in the footwell and the rudder up, put a hand on each side like a surfboard, push off and set a knee in, the other, then sort of an awkward but hopefully balanced moment while i transition get in the seat as the kayak is drifting away from shore.

if the water's still shallow, i grab the paddle. just no reason to risk damage to the drive in those situations. i put the drive in when i'm in deeper water and away from whatever hazards.

Comment

So you guys keep the drive out? Bungee/leash them until its safe? I'll be launching from OC and Assateague mostly. Googling it looks like I should stow the rods and wear my wet-suit.

Comment

i haven't launched a kayak in surf yet so don't want to offer advice on that. i probly will if opportunity arises and surf is negligible or sheltered by a jetty.

good luck

Comment

In the surf, like life, timing is everything.

You're right in that you should tether your mirage drive and definitely keep your rudder up until you are assured that you aren't going to be smashed back on the beach.

I've launched into the surf hundreds of times with very few mishaps. Of course that was during my youth and I only had a paddle kayak with no equipment on board. Did I happen to mention this was during my youth?

Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X