No announcement yet.

Let’s talk fishing license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been checked twice on the water (Occoquan and Point Lookout) and once at the ramp (SPSP).

I have been checked many times while shore fishing. If you fish SPSP from the sand expect to be checked.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
      Once. About 12 years ago on the VA side of the Potomac. DC jurisdiction. Don't mess with DC. If you're going to Fletcher's, Chain Bridge, etc this spring for shad get a DC permit. You can get them online:

https://enode.dc.gov/epermit/Page/Entry/Login.aspx
      That’s the truth...

I got pinched there about 15 years ago for not having a DC permit while fishing the VA bank. I was too lazy to go across the bridge to fletchers and pick one up. Never again.

Its funny fishing there and watching people drop there nets and soda can fishing rigs and scurry up the cliffs when fish and game shows up. Its gonna be an interesting year there now that the herring are protected.

Comment

One good thing (probably the only good thing...) about getting older is that the combination MD senior license is $5.00 and is good for everything-

I have not been checked by DNR while kayak fishing- always when bank fishing the parks, but never while kayaking-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Regarding a reciprocal agreement between MD & VA for the non-tidal portion of the Potomac River. Ok, I think a Virginia resident that has a VA resident freshwater fishing license can fish the non-tidal portion of the Potomac opposite VA without buying a MD non-resident freshwater license. This would include fishing from either the VA or MD shore and from a boat. Same would apply to West Virginia residence opposite their state. I do have a few calls into DNR to confirm this. I’ll get back one way or the other.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            Regarding a reciprocal agreement between MD & VA for the non-tidal portion of the Potomac River. Ok, I think a Virginia resident that has a VA resident freshwater fishing license can fish the non-tidal portion of the Potomac opposite VA without buying a MD non-resident freshwater license. This would include fishing from either the VA or MD shore and from a boat. Same would apply to West Virginia residence opposite their state. I do have a few calls into DNR to confirm this. I’ll get back one way or the other.
            Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will save me some cheddar this year.

Comment

You alo need a NOAA # for every state you fish in. MD registers you with the license but you have to register seperately for the Va NOAA

Comment

Fishing license

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                Once. About 12 years ago on the VA side of the Potomac. DC jurisdiction. Don't mess with DC. If you're going to Fletcher's, Chain Bridge, etc this spring for shad get a DC permit. You can get them online:

https://enode.dc.gov/epermit/Page/Entry/Login.aspx

Is the a website for a VA license? I already have my non-res non-tidal MD license. Is the VA license the only other one I need to fish the upper Potomac?

Since coming to Maryland, I have mostly shore fished at Loch Raven reservoir and have had my license checked twice. Each officer was nice but they sit and wait for you to get back to your car.
                Cliff Williams
                Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff06
                  Is there a website for a VA license? I already have my non-res non-tidal MD license. Is the VA license the only other one I need to fish the upper Potomac?

Since coming to Maryland, I have mostly shore fished at Loch Raven reservoir and have had my license checked twice. Each officer was nice but they sit and wait for you to get back to your car.
                  Cliff - To answer your question it would help to know what state you live in and exactly which part of the Potomac you intend to fish. Keep in mind that one man's lower Potomac is another man's upper Potomac. So at least be somewhat specific, it makes a huge difference regarding the licensing.
                  Howard

Comment

Cliff ........ a paddle yak might be better if you are fishing the upper Potomac ...... the miraqge drive won't do well with shallow rocks

Comment

Cliff - To answer your question it would help to know what state you live in and exactly which part of the Potomac you intend to fish. Keep in mind that one man's lower Potomac is another man's upper Potomac. So at least be somewhat specific, it makes a huge difference regarding the licensing.
                      You are correct, I should have been more specific. I would consider below Harpers Ferry as the upper most part of the Potomac that I am currently considering.
                      Cliff Williams
                      Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                        Cliff ........ a paddle yak might be better if you are fishing the upper Potomac ...... the miraqge drive won't do well with shallow rocks
                        Thanks for the heads up. What areas of the Potomac would you recommend for kayak fishing? I would like to mainly target large and smallmouth bass. However, I am extremely interested in experiencing new types of fishing relative to Maryland. Such as catching shad while they are running...

Thanks for the help!
                        Cliff Williams
                        Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

There is a reciprocal agreement between MD and WV. I have fished both sides of the Potomac with my Maryland license. I have also fished from a kayak above Harpers Ferry. It is shallow, but you could use a mirage drive. You would have to be careful. In the summer, when the water is clear, you can see the rocks. There are pontoon boats up there and many jon boats with motors. I used to use my BassYak motor and the previous side mount motor in the Harpers Ferry area. It is a fun place to fish. It is good for smallmouth bass. I have caught a few walleye. I have not yet caught a tiger musky, but I have talked to those who have.

Comment

=====================================

Got a reply from MD-DNR Fisheries.

Maryland owns the Potomac to the far shore. However, a VA resident with a VA freshwater license can fish the Potomac from their side of the Potomac AND from a boat/kayak without getting a MD non-res license as long as they are fishing along their border.

But I was incorrect when I suggested Va fishermen can fish the Potomac from the MD shore... they can not do this.

The same reciprocity applies to the residents of WV for the Potomac along their boundary.

Hope this helps.
                            Howard

Comment

Working...
                            X