white perch are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white perch are here!

Came home from work today and immediately dropped a small white grub with garlic scented tail off the end of my pier. Wp were feeding all over the place. Managed to get quite a few strikes but no hooksets. I even looked over the edge and jigged the grub just under the surface and watched a couple of them come up for a frenzied strike. I'm assuming they were too small? Or I just suck at fishing? In any case I'm expecting good wp action in the bush over the next few weeks.
    Ascend A10

I did some recon shore fishing on the Western Branch in Upper Marlboro last Sunday to see if the WP were in yet. I got the same thing, lots of frenzied strikes and followers but no hook-ups. Seems like those that were in were small and not there in any numbers yet.

Comment

UPDATE:

The old man 1 upped me this time. I was out fishing a white grub for about an hour with plenty of strikes but no fish. Then he decides to come out and catch this nice wp in minutes. He started with a small firetiger minnow crank and ended up catching this guy on a red and white spoon. So ready for the big ones to move into shallow water.
      Attached Files
      Ascend A10

Comment

Thanks for the update. I can't wait for them to come in numbers. That was a nice perch that your dad got.

Comment

where are you fishing

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
            where are you fishing
            southern shore of the head of the bush river. right off the end of my pier about 1/4 mile west of flying point park
            Ascend A10

Comment

i have clue where that is, is it close to edgewater? also is it fresh or salt?

Comment

Small white perch are in the tidal creeks around Cobb Island and in the sound behind Cobb Island- the shallows are warmed by the sun and the fish are active-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Tried the incoming tide on the Magothy on Friday from shore and only got a couple Pumpkinseed sunfish for my efforts. I was using grass shrimp, beetle spins, inline spinners, etc.

Comment

Read my report in the boatyard

Comment

whacked a few this weekend in the severn, some small males and a few larger females they went back but the males are going to be rockfish bait
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                        whacked a few this weekend in the severn, some small males and a few larger females they went back but the males are going to be rockfish bait
                        Shhhhhhh!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                          That's good to hear. Were they in deeper water or in the shoreline shallows?
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                          X