Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious, anyone ever get a safety inspection on a yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious, anyone ever get a safety inspection on a yak?

Might be a crazy question but there it is. I have always had the CG aux folks give me a safety inspection on my boats as I believe it keeps the DNR and CG away during the fishing season.

Since I have never been boarded while out on the water, I have to assume it has some validity.

The question remains, has anyone had their yak inspected?

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Every year at J-Bay. The CGA walks the whole lot and checks anyone who wants one. They'll give you your courtesy sticker and if you need it they'll give you a large "name tag" you can stick inside in case you get separated from your yak.

Comment

Mullet,

Where is J bay?

John
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I have not been checked by DNR- had a USCG boat come by one time and ask if I was OK when I was way, way out in the middle of the Bay by myself trolling the ship channel for stripers... but I assured them I was fine and they left me alone.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I saw a guy at Wilson point get fined for not having a life vest with him. I think it was like 90 bucks. They said he was more than 200 yards from shore without a vest on board. I'm not sure if there's really some distance or not, either way it's kinda silly not to have one.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I've been check a couple of times recently while I was in my canoe (with trolling motor) fishing the inner Patapsco near the Harbor Hospital. Each time the DNR police ask for my license and if I kept any fish. Only once was I ask to show an emergency whistle/horn, which I had attached to my tackle bag.

I've never been asked for flares nor any other safety equipment. I was wearing a PFD so that was obvious.

Here's a story - In early January two years ago I was approached by DNR police while fishing the tidal Patapsco. I had just bought my license and also had just received my renewal registration stickers in the mail for my canoe... but had left them both at home. So needless to say I could not produce either one of them. The lady officer called headquarters on her 2-way radio with my name and hull numbers. (I could hear both sides of the conversation) The person on the other end got back in a few seconds and said that both my license and registration were up to date. She smiled and say I'd better have them next time and off she went. Just gave me a warning. Maybe it was my charm or good looks or maybe that I was a doddering old fool who had forgotten to bring his $5 senior citizen licence... and I was ready to play the senile old man card too but never had to. Nice lady though.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I saw DNR out on the flats last week but they didn't stop to check me on my yak.

I was checked on January 2nd at the OC Inlet at night, I was the only one fishing there (about 35 degrees out). Guy took my drivers and fishing license and went back to his car to check me. Came back and gave me my license back. Mentioned that there were reports of undersized fish being taken. If he had stayed to watch me then he would have realized that I certainly wasn't catching a thing.

Over the summer I was checked on Assateague Island like (6) times. Same ranger checked me (4) of the times. On the last check he finally said that I was "good" and didn't bother checking me.

Comment

I had a marine police boat stop and give us an inspection at point lookout about a mile out into the river. It really was poor timing as the rockfish and blues had just started biting after a rather slow afternoon...

By the time he was done inspecting all 6 kayaks the blitz that was going was over and he asked us to head back in as it was dusk and one of us did not have approved lights...

I understand enforcing safety regulations and making sure everyone is safe and sound on the water but for 40 minutes during a blitz is kind of frustrating.. Oh and yes he asked us to reel in our lines until after the inspections.....

Every other time i have been stopped they just asked for fishing licence and let us go on our way..

Other then the one person lacking a light everyone had the proper gear and licences..

Meadeo
                2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

i've been stopped at the bay bridge before, during catch and release. they just asked for my fishing license and if i had any fish on board.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I have not been checked yet by DNR while on the water in my kayak (knock on wood). I've talked to DNR people several times while coming in for the day at several spots and most of the time they just ask how I did and not even ask for my license or anything...
                    I guess I just look like an honest guy...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I think we're off topic from the OP's question of a saftey inspection, which is different than them asking checking licenses/catches. but in spirit of the thread...

Last year trolling out of Chesapeake Beach, the DNR passed me on two separate occasions. Both times were accompanied with a "WTF?" look on their face. The second time, the guy asks "you got a motor on that thing?"..."Yeah"
                      He responded with a head nod.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                        Mullet,

Where is J bay?

John
                        Jamaica Bay, NY

Comment

Not exactly around the next bend.

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I have been stopped twice by DNR, on the same day, in the past. The first officers checked my license and asked to see my lures to make sure the barbs were crushed and check if I had the necessary safety equipment. basically life vest which i was wearing and whistle. The second Officers just wanted to make sure fishermen were aware of the new regulations, at the time, being no stinger/trailing hooks, crushing your barbs, etc and NOAA card(which you dont need anymore with current sport license). Both were intrigued that I was fishing from a kayak. lol They were cool and I’m glad they were out patrolling
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X