Fishing Jug Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Jug Bay

I have heard jug bay is pretty cool spot to launch with some good fishing at times. Has anyone here launched a kayak at jug bay and if so how was it? Is there a lot of boat traffic there? Also what kinds of fish are targeted there usually?

If Jug Bay is near Chesapeake Beach, then check with Nay_sayer. I'm not sure where Jug Bay is but it sounds like the name of the place he fishes.
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

The spot nay_sayer fishes near Chesapeake Beach is Herring Bay. Jug Bay is on the Patuxent. I fish it often. In the winter it was good for yellow perch. Now it should be turning on for white perch. I've also caught decent catfish on occassion.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

There are two ramps in the general vicinity of Jug Bay. The Patuxent River Park on Croom Airport Rd in PG County has a nice ramp facility (kayaks and power boats) called Jackson Landing that puts you directly into the Jug Bay section of the Patuxent River. 3 miles upstream, you can find another launch point (kayaks and canoes only) at Waysons Corner (in AA COunty where the Rt 4 bridge crosses the Patuxent River). I have launched from both locations. They have their pros and cons. Your choice of launch location should consider:
        a) where are you heading to fish?
        b) how far is the launch point from your home? (for me, coming from Annapolis, Waysons Corner is 20 mins closer)
        c) the wind strength and direction
        d) the tidal current flow.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          c) the wind strength and direction
          d) the tidal current flow.
          Very important stuff to consider, as John said.

I launch at Waysons Corner usually at least once a week. It is not a bad paddle down to JB or back if you time it right with the tides and the wind is light. I have wound up paddling on one side of the yak for 1/2 an hour straight trying to fight the wind when it was wrong. I like to launch at WC instead of JB so that I can hit the mouth of the Western Branch on the way down and back (and it's 5 min from my house)

The tides can cause a pretty swift current as well. If I'm going down to JB, I will ride the outgoing tide or paddle slack water and then head back on the incoming tide.

You can catch yellow perch, white perch, LM bass, creek chubsuckers, and catfish. I've heard stories of SM bass there but I've never seen one (crafty little Ba$#@rds).

Comment

thanks hopefully I will get a chance to check out more of the patuxent watershed. Rocky gorge and triadelphia are definitely two of my primary spots.

Comment

I used to fish off the peir at jug bay last spring/summer. I caught mainly catfish and perch. I think you can also rent kayaks and canoes there also. from the map it looks like a great place go.

Comment

There used to be large carp spawning in Jug bay,I think a lady by the name Jean Ward held the state record at one time caught in the Patuxent.

Comment

Working...
                X