Hart Miller Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart Miller Island?

Have a few questions was wondering if anybody fishes around hart miller island. Interested in catching stripers. Looking at maps guess I would launch from rocky point park. Is it a long paddle to get to good fishing grounds. Any tips or pointers would be great. Thanks

I had actually never heard of it before, but it looks very interesting. I might plan a camping/fishing trip there this summer with my Pops.
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Only fished it late summer and the it can be great fishing between the islands. The paddle is less than a mile. Craabbing is really good there too.

Comment

From what I have read the island is man made from them dredging the port of Baltimore and all the shipping channels in the bay. They say the west side is a well protected for ships figured be okay fishing with middle river near by and also patapsco to the south. Also the edges of ship channels make for some structure or I guess lay of the land for fish to hold up in. May try and take the boat or kayak this weekend to check things out.

Comment

Not the best place on the bay to fish but certain times of the year it can be ok.
          I've lived in the area my whole life and know the area well but just havent fished that area that much.

The western side of the island is very shallow with a nice bottom and during the summer months on weekends its like a parking lot with hundreds of boats just hanging out for the day.

The eastern side of the island is deeper and there is some man made fishing reefs there and fishing is much better on that side. The smaller island is Pleasure island and they have dredged that area in the last couple years and have also put in alot of rock jetties. The shoreline along the mainland area can be pretty good at times as well.

The "CUT" is between pleasure island and the mainland and can be very busy with alot of boat traffic during the weekends.

From Rocky Point it would be a pretty good paddle but its doable I guess.
          Theres a marina right at the CUT called Bills Boats which is much closer. Not sure if they allow Kayak launching or not.

Here is the link from marinas.com:
          https://marinas.com/view/marina/4818
          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Okay thank you for the input. Sounds like a place to try on a weekday. Im new to the whole striper fishing planning on giving the flats a go in April and will be at the event in April for the flats. I'm from Pa most of my time spent in Md is crabbing but I want to fish a little more this year. Thank you again for the input will check other launch place also.

Comment

used to live in Sparrows point. Never fished there though.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The area may be subject to pretty large waves on the northern and eastern side of the island as a result of large boats passing. I was in a small boat anchored on the north side and nearly got swamped by a massive boat going by. I'd like to get back there again, but just be careful.

On the eastern side, it's basically a party spot in the summer. I'd also like to check that out too.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

I've crabbed in back river quite a few times with my dad in his boat. Seems like a paddle to Hart Miller from rocky point ramp would be pretty long. It takes a little bit of time just to get out by channel marker by boat. I havnt really fished there much at all, but I fished the old pilings across the river from rocky point once while taking a break from crabbing a couple years ago and caught an 11" white perch.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    The area may be subject to pretty large waves on the northern and eastern side of the island as a result of large boats passing. I was in a small boat anchored on the north side and nearly got swamped by a massive boat going by. I'd like to get back there again, but just be careful.

On the eastern side, it's basically a party spot in the summer. I'd also like to check that out too.
                    The western side is the party area.
                    I'm not much for sitting around and partying on the boat but in the summer they do have a pizza boat and a pit beef boat as well. At least they used to with jet ski delivery too.
                    They used to have bands out there as well years ago.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                      The western side is the party area.
                      I'm not much for sitting around and partying on the boat but in the summer they do have a pizza boat and a pit beef boat as well. At least they used to with jet ski delivery too.
                      They used to have bands out there as well years ago.
                      Sorry, typo. Yes, western area is the party spot.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X