Another sewage spill in Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sewage spill in Patapsco

For those of you who, like me, like to fish in the Patapsco... yet another spill to be weary of.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...0,812899.story
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

OK .......... GET OUT the TROUT BAIT ......... Brown Trout are running .......

Back River Brown runnig in the Patapsco

Comment

The problem is much worse than you'd imagine. Look at this link that shows all the overflows. Just make sure you search by county....and get ready to scroll down the page. Also look at the dates. What you think may be 10 years worth of overflows is merely a month.

http://www.mde.maryland.gov/programs...rOverflow.aspx

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Eating fish from this region of the upper Bay continue to be a health concern as does the bacteria in the water pose a health hazard to cuts, exposure in case of turtling, etc.

"Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Sewage spills are suprisingly frequent the link Yak Fish posted confirms that...and that kinda freaked me out too. Just seeing that many SPILLS in a year. Im not sure if that site includes the much more common stormwater OVERFLOW. I grew up close to North Beach MD, and their sewer system is connected to the stormwater system (same with the City of Salisburys system). What this means is that all the storm water and sewage water flow into the same pipe, and are both treated at the treament plant. If rainfall is excessive the treatment plant becomes overwhelmed and cannot process all the affluent. When this happens the excess UNTREATED mix of sewage and stormwater are piped off directly into local waterways. In Salisbury the water is dumped into the Wicimico, in North Beach it is the Chesapeake. I remember growing up seeing signs on the beach saying dont swim due to bacterial blooms, and now i understand why. The blooms always followed heavy storm events.

I know Salisbury is currently overhauling their system, I hope North Beach has done, or is doing the same. This is a very expensive process.
          -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
          -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

its the same in DC. all the storm and sanitary go to blue plains stp. their thinking that the sewage will be diluted by the storm water. "the solution to pollution is dilution"

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              its the same in DC. all the storm and sanitary go to blue plains stp. their thinking that the sewage will be diluted by the storm water. "the solution to pollution is dilution"
              .......... or severe constipation .......

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                Combined sewer systems are a problem in most of the older cities in the country. Studied this some while I was in school and is definately a very expensive situation to correct. You need to change an entire philosophy for dealing with stormwater runoff. Luckily "the solution to pollution is dillution" mindset isn't quite as prevalent as it used to be and people are looking for more viable solutions. In the meantime....

Chimo

Comment

Scary, scary stuff.
                  I was reading recently that the New River in VA also has 16.5 TONS (!!) of toxins dumped in it DAILY!!

Now, what's the fine for littering or dumping for the average citizen?
                  Sickening...

I agree, chimo, expensive upgrades, to be sure.. But, in my mind, the frustrating thing to me is, there must have been something in the budget for decades(and I'm sure collected through taxes and or fees) labeled something like "Capital Improvements"...
                  Did no one foresee a need for these upgrades eons ago?!

Comment

This Congress' obsession with massive reductions of federal spending should not surprise you to know that public water treatment plants, municipal sewer systems nation-wide are at or near the breaking point- schools, bridges, tunnels, airports, dams, electrical grids, gas mains, water mains, levees, canals....name any public infrastructure- it is crumbling and on the verge of failure- don't read the book "On the Edge of Disaster"- if you do, you won't sleep well agin-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X