Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabbing

MD Crabbing season started yesterday. Anybody thinking of giving it a try soon? I think the soonest I will try might be the end of the month...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
    MD Crabbing season started yesterday. Anybody thinking of giving it a try soon? I think the soonest I will try might be the end of the month...
    I plan to try after tax season around the 3rd week of April.

Comment

I Plan on trying at the end of the month as well. Ibought a 600' snood line this off season but I will probably use my traps only on the first few trips for basically a Recon Trip to see if the crabs have arrived. Whenever you all decide to head out let me know and I will be glad to come on out. Hopefully we can find them as the Commercial Crabbers in Virginia have been having great early success. Cant wait.

Comment

I crab out of the Gunpowder and I don't even start until the end of June or beginning of July. Where were you guys thinking of going? I've never seen a kayak crabbing Meet and Greet! I could be game though...I'd wait until striper season is over though.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I plan on hitting one of the southern MD rivers. I saw that the Wicomico in MD at Bushwood alread have crab pots deployed.

Comment

Where does everyone go crabbing? I think I may be a little far away to go regularly. My wife loves it though so that may be an easy sell
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

I go mainly in the Severn River but also will go to Bill burtons Pier in the summer quite a few times on the Choptank. Just staryed kayak crabbing last year and it is addictive. Its plemty of areas to crab in the area though.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
                I go mainly in the Severn River but also will go to Bill burtons Pier in the summer quite a few times on the Choptank. Just staryed kayak crabbing last year and it is addictive. Its plemty of areas to crab in the area though.
                Do you throw out pots or use a trot line?
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

As I mentioned last year was my first year Kayak crabbing and I only used topless traps. Just changed the line so that they were shorter because before I only crabbed off the pier. MetroMan and Moc gave me the inspiration of trotlining from the kayak as they started this last year. I had great success with my traps last year . This off season I purchased a trotline so I will be doing that as well this year. To trotline you need a motor , trolling motor, or peddles.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
                    As I mentioned last year was my first year Kayak crabbing and I only used topless traps. Just changed the line so that they were shorter because before I only crabbed off the pier. MetroMan and Moc gave me the inspiration of trotlining from the kayak as they started this last year. I had great success with my traps last year . This off season I purchased a trotline so I will be doing that as well this year. To trotline you need a motor , trolling motor, or peddles.
                    I may have seen a youtube video Moc posted. No mirage drive or trolling motor for me, so I guess Ill stick to pots if I get into it.
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

Trust me. Using the pots are so much fun. I paddle most of mine in two straight lines in different depths and its nothing like grabbing the float and filling something heavy in it. I kept a cooler behind me and used crab tongs to take it out of the traps. I bought some culling gloves this year so all I need to do is grab them by hand and put them in the cooler.

Comment

I too plan on trying the Severn this year. The Southern Waters get the crabs first as they move up the Bay. I run a trotline and yes I did post a video on youtube. I have been running trotlines from a canoe or kayak for 5 years or more. It takes some work, but the rewards are well worth it! YUM....

Souther waters that I may try early is the Wicomico and the lower Pax at Solomons Island.

Comment

Working...
                        X