No announcement yet.

Anyone hear good things from the Flats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hear good things from the Flats?

I've been up twice and fished hard without a nibble. It seemed that last week there were stripers caught, mostly smaller males, but this past week it has sounded pretty dead up there. A buddy of mine went out with a good captain on wed and they caught one small striper all day. I planned to go up today but with the poor reports and the wind I decided to stay home....I know, I can't catch any fish from my living room.

Just when you think you have these things figured out, they defy you.
    Any fish experts have an explanation?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I'm by no means an expert and have never even fished the flats for Striper, but it seems to me that the first wave of males has come through the flats and already gone on to the spawning grounds. From reading through a lot of reports the general concensus is that the big ones are expected to arrive any time now. Most people say that historically next weekend has been the best time to be there.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The recent cold snap has an effect- don't discount the weather when you are looking at a calendar...cold slows fishing dramatically- Saturday and Sunday mornings are supposed to have lows near freezing- and breezy- not exactly the weather we hoped for-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Seems like the high catch rates of a week ago on the Flats has indeed dropped off considerable the past couple of days. But I have to agree with ronaultmtd... never turn your back on an early spring cool/cold wave. Sudden cool waves in the spring can bring everything fishy to a halt.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
        X