Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog in Ocean City from shore?

Hey fellas,
    I'm heading with the wifey for a little R&R in Ocean City. I won't have my yak, but I have heard you can catch tog from shore. I am thinking about hitting up the jetty. I have read that anglers have been successful there.

Do you guys have any hot spots I should check out? And any idea where I can get some bait?

Thanks!!

Check out Sue Foster's Oyster Bay Tackle shop web site. She lists most of the tog hot spots (Rt 50 bridge, bulkheads, inlet jetty, etc.). Good luck fishing!

http://www.oysterbaytackle.com/
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks Tufnik! I'm gonna stop by in the morning... Hopefully the wind will lay down for a little bit!

Comment

New tautog regs are 16" minimum... no more 14".

The oceanic pier is now open and should at least have frozen sand fleas for bait. Fish off the left corner of the T and cast in towards the rocks across the inlet where the jet skis come in.

Oyster bay tackle is up there around 90th street or so and should have green crabs and sand fleas. Go up further and you'll see Fenwick tackle just across the DE line. They should have the same bait as Oyster Bay.

The bulkheads from 2-6 the street bayside can be productive during slowing tides.

I have never caught a keeper off the shore in ocean city, and it will be tougher with the bigger size limit, but it is still loads of fun.

Bring LOTS of sinkers.

Comment

Actually, I should have given you this site. See article #33 on Spring tog fishing.

http://oysterbaytackle.com/index.php/drifting-easy.html
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Oyster Bay and Fenwick Tackle are both owned by Sue Foster, I beleive Fenwick has hours that are even less than OBT right now. OBT is on 116th talk to Sue or Libby and they will hook you up...no pun intended. If I could choose anywhere to fish for tog in OC it would be the Bulkhead (2nd to 4th st) hands down.

I was on assateague this evening and dug up plenty of robust sand fleas that woulda been great bait. Just go out at low tide and dig just below the high tide mark. They are in the top 6 inches of sand.
            -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas. My wife wanted to join me today, so no jetty fishing! We decided to hit up the bulkhead LOL I talked with Sue for a bit and picked up some Green crabs and a fishing license for the wife.

The winds were brutal!! It was really tough out there... Sue said just to drop straight down and that's what we did, but no luck. I even casted out a little to no avail. There was a kid to the left of me casting to the speed buoy in front of 2nd street and he caught 2 undersized ones on sand fleas. I moved to his location but no takers on the crab. Next time I will pick up some sand fleas. We fished for about 4 hours and and had a good time.

My favorite part was my wife saying "We were out there for 4 hours? It didn't even feel like it!"
              Me: "See that's what I keep trying to tell you! I don't come home late on purpose when fishing...time just flies!"

I'm definitely gonna try to get back out there in the fall. And again thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Wish you coulda got some, they are tough fish to catch, took me 14 hours this weekend to get 1!! Totally worth it when you get one though they are bulls on the line. Any woman that will go fishing, for 4 hours in windy conditions, is a keeper in my book!
                -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Working...
                X