Quiet Waters State Park yak access review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet Waters State Park yak access review

Since my family was having our traditional Easter picnic at Quiet Waters, I decided to check out what would be involved in launching from there.

I don't know how much it cost to enter the park, I'm a veteran so I have a free pass. You can also get a free pass if you are a senior citizen or disabled.

The lot where you park is a 10 minute walk from where you launch. ( I timed it at an easy stride) The path leads to a dock where kayaks and canoes are rented. The park brochure says this is where you can launch however, I found a better spot.

If you stay on the path about 25 yards past the entrance for the dock, you will see a clearing that goes down to the water. It is an easy grade for going down and up and there is a sand beach where people swim their dogs. ( saw dog prints). The water was about 1 foot deep at the beach and about 2 feet deep about 10 feet from the beach. It really looks like an easy place to launch.

For you guys who tote giant size Hobies with 200 pounds of gear, the walk will probably take a little longer.

This will give you access to the lower South River and bay in an area where the salt content is high enough for hard heads and Spanish Mackerel.

Regards,
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Thanks a lot for the info. I took a trip to that park a while back when I was in the area but didn't get any farther than that front gate. I just wanted a peak but didn't want to pay the entrance fee ($6 if i recall). Good to hear they have a nice launch area.

Comment

seems like a hike to the mouth of the river. do spaniards even come into the mouth? would have thought they would be out more towards thomas point line
      sigpic

Comment

Spanish Macs can be caught out by Thomas Point but I have never seen them in the river. From Quiet Waters to the mouth of the river is about 4 miles.

That's about a 20 minute drive for you Hobie drivers, isn't it.
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

^i wish!

thomas point park seems like a better launch for the bay in that area. permit holders only which you can get at quiet waters.
          sigpic

Comment

While I've motored around the water side of the park, I have never been inside. It gets pretty conjested driving around in that area.
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thomas Point is terrible, all rip-rap. Take a look at Beverly Beach Park on the AA County web site, Recreation and Parks. There is a car top launch there over a sandy beach.

Comment

Working...
              X