Levelwind on my new Shimano Citica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levelwind on my new Shimano Citica

Only seems to work when it wants to. Sometimes when I'm reeling in the line, it all ends up on one side of the spool and then the next cast is a disaster. I have an older Citica that I've used pretty hard at CBBT, HRBT, Kipto and Bay bridge and have never had any problems with it. I'm very close to calling Gander mountain to see if I can still return the new one...

Anybody have any ideas? Is there some sort of adjustment that can to be made?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Oh Noes. I just got mine in the mail last week for my new jigging rod. When did you purchase that reel? I hope you can get the issue resolved with Shimano.

Is there a screw on the bottom of the line feed? Maybe it is loose

Comment

I bought it mid-march. I have not checked for loose screws are anything like that yet...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

If its still under store warranty then I'd take it back to Gander Mtn for a replacement. It should be covered by Shimano so if you're not comfortable with taking them apart then I'd send it back to them for repair. That will ensure your warranty is intact.

It sounds like there is something loose that is preventing the wormgear from engaging with the main drive. Its possible that the pawl that guides the levelwind on the wormgear could be incorrectly installed too. is it retrieving smoothly? If it is then that would tell me the levelwind is installed incorrectly.

No experience with Shimano conv. but tinker with abus and others all the time.

good luck.

Comment

Problem 1: I bought it online
          Problem 2: I already threw away the return label
          Problem 3: The levelwind only stays to one side once in a while. Last night I tested it in my living room and it worked fine. I even tightened the screw on the front of the level wind to see if that would help.
          On another note, I compared the new Citica to the old one and noticed that the screw on the level wind on the old one is facing backward and the screw is facing forward on the new one. Im not sure if that is a design change or what. The old one is 8-10 years old... It is retrieving smoothly.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Contact Shimano via their website.

My cumara rod broke at the tip and they told me to send it in.
            The sent me a new rod without asking for receipt or any other question.

Comment

Just looked at the reel schmatic and the screw appears to be on the front. Me thinks it either the ceramic pawl and something gummed up on gear. Looks pretty standard for a low profile baitcaster.

If you feel up to it then take it apart according to the schematic. Be very careful of small springs and clips. I sometimes take them apart in a big bowl or box just in case a part goes flying. Double check the entire levelwind assembly to see if either its got a clump of dirt on the worm gear or if the ceramic pawl is not sitting straight.

I'd be happy to look at it for you if you're in the area. I work on my quantum low-pros frequently. They operate much better with lots of TLC.

I'll be at the Flats jamboree this weekend if you're there.

Minh

Comment

Im going to try to give it another test this afternoon at a local pond to see if it still isnt working properly after I tightened the screw. BTW, where did you find the reel schematic? I will not be at the Jamboree, but thanks for the offer to look at the reel...
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

go to the Shimano fishing website and click on the Customer Support link. It has a link for "Reel Schematics".

Good luck on the reel.

Comment

Working...
                  X