Leesylvania State Park This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leesylvania State Park This Weekend

I know a lot of people will be doing the Susky Jamboree this weekend but for those that aren't I'll be headed to Leesylvania State Park to see if I can start the Spring with a snakehead entry into the Maryland contest and targeting largemouth in the lillypads. Anyone interested in coming along is more than welcome. I'll be in a grey tarpon 140.
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

I was fishing on the Occquan two weeks ago and hooked into a 25 inch snakehead there on a crappie jig, I like your ideal of targeting those things at Leesylvania; if possible I will be there in my Pro Angler too.
    US Army (Retired)

Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Outback

Comment

Good luck. Be sure to keep an eye out for bass anglers. There are quite a few tournaments this weekend on the Potomac.

Comment

Forgot to specify that I'll be out there on Sunday morning.

Mcveyr- I'm curious as to where the snakehead concentration is the highest this time of year. It seams like in the spring like now they move into the smaller sections of the Potomac with moving water and are moving up stream (basically the same place as the Shad). I wonder if it's just my imagination or if they do a sort of spawning thing then move back into the backwaters as the water warms.
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

The one I caught was in about two feet of water with a hard bottom next to an old dock. The water temperature was around 60 degrees, and I was targeting bass/crappie with a small jig at the time when he hit my lure like a sledgehammer. I did not have my landing net, hence he cause me a lot of grief trying to get him into my kayak (lol).
          US Army (Retired)

Comment

Yes. In the spring they tend to move upstream a bit to smaller creeks/sections of the river. But that's not to say there aren't a few in their summer haunts now. We did well yesterday shocking them along wooded shorelines (including old dock pilings) in Mattawoman with muddy bottoms. Every fish was in less than 4' of water, and most were at about 2-3'.

Comment

Fishing was pretty good on Friday the 13th, I landed 26 bass and lost 3 monsters (at least one was a snakehead). All were caught on a chrome& blue Rattletrap along both the rocks next to the boat launch and the railroad tussle bridge next to Nabisco Creek.
              Attached Files
              US Army (Retired)

Comment

Congrats on the fat bass. You'll get the snakehead next time. I'm really looking forward to fishing there.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                X