Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about a kayak fisherman snakehead round-up on the Potomac to support HOW????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about a kayak fisherman snakehead round-up on the Potomac to support HOW????

Hello fellow kayak fishermen in the Virginia/Maryland/DC area. I am posting this message to see what kind of feedback could be mustered regarding an ideal/concept I have been thinking about to support all the different things like (ie win-win) out there in the local area.
    First, I am looking at the ideal of how to help Hero’s On the Water (HOW). Next then, I am looking at how to help out in the removal of evasive species (snakeheads) in our beloved Potomac River. Then I am looking to do this in a way that could be fun. Hence then, the ideal of organizing the 1st Annual Snakehead Rround-Up ivo Leesylvania Park this Summer.
    The original ideal for this is similar to an event I remember when I was station in Georgia many years ago, where they use to have this rattle snake round-up each year to benefit a community after a young child had died from a snakebite. First they caught the snakes, milked then for venom. Next the skinned them and sold the hides. Then the cooked them for a benefit dinner.
    US Army (Retired)

Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Outback

I'd be up for that, depending on when it is.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I like the way you think and depending on the actual details I would be interested in participating.

Chimo

Comment

Next couple weeks are slammed for me, but Id be in as well depending on date.
        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

I found this Youtube video of a snakehead round-up done in Florida last year (non-kayak event). I hope this can help develop some ideals for us regarding our own snakehead round-up on the Potomac this year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S0bt2BmToE&feature=related"]Snakehead Round up 5/15/2011 - YouTube[/ame]
          US Army (Retired)

Comment

I've been wanting to add snakeheads to my catch list and I have a second yak, I'm in!
            Yellow WS Ride 135
            Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea.. build it and they will come!!

Comment

Before going any further, I will need to speak to our HOW rep as to what we can or cannot do regarding any events in support of HOW first. I did find a link about a up-coming snakehead tournament this June on the Potomac http://potomacsnakehead.com/
                2012 Potomac Snakehead Tournament Schedule of Events
                June 1st – Online Registration Deadline
                ■Walk-up register will be on June 2, 2012 at Smallwood State Park from from 4-7:00pm.
                Tournament Fishing - June 2nd, 6 p.m.- to June 3rd, 12:30 p.m.
                Participants may fish anywhere on the tidal Potomac in Maryland and/or Virginia.
                Events at SMALLWOOD STATE PARK
                June 2, 2012
                4 to 7 p.m. – Walk-up Registration and Check-in
                5 p.m. – Pre-Tournament Conference (All participants encouraged to attend.)
                Guest Speakers
                Joseph W. Love, Ph.D. Tidal Bass Manager, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
                Joshua J. Newhard, Fisheries Biologist, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
                6 p.m. – Fishing Begins!!
                June 3rd, 2012
                12:30 p.m. – Fishing Ends
                1 p.m. – Fish Weigh-in
                12:30 to 2:30 p.m. – Invasive Species Tasting and Flying Dog Beer Sampling
                This Tasting is open to the public and it is free!
                ■Snakehead Tasting (Prepared by Chad Wells, Executive Chef, Alewife, Baltimore, MD)
                ■Blue Catfish Tasting (Provided by ProFish prepared by the Whackfactor Outdoors Pro-Staff)
                ■Flying Dog Beer Sampling (Ben Savage, VP Marketing and Brand Development, Flying Dog Brewery, will share some amazing beers)
                ■You must be 21 to sample beers.
                2:30 p.m. – Presentation of Tournament Winners
                2:45 p.m. – Closing Remarks by Steve Vilnit, Fisheries Marketing Director, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
                US Army (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by mcveyr View Post
                  Before going any further, I will need to speak to our HOW rep as to what we can or cannot do regarding any events in support of HOW first. I did find a link about a up-coming snakehead tournament this June on the Potomac http://potomacsnakehead.com/
                  2012 Potomac Snakehead Tournament Schedule of Events
                  June 1st – Online Registration Deadline
                  ■Walk-up register will be on June 2, 2012 at Smallwood State Park from from 4-7:00pm.
                  Tournament Fishing - June 2nd, 6 p.m.- to June 3rd, 12:30 p.m.
                  Participants may fish anywhere on the tidal Potomac in Maryland and/or Virginia.
                  Events at SMALLWOOD STATE PARK
                  June 2, 2012
                  4 to 7 p.m. – Walk-up Registration and Check-in
                  5 p.m. – Pre-Tournament Conference (All participants encouraged to attend.)
                  Guest Speakers
                  Joseph W. Love, Ph.D. Tidal Bass Manager, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
                  Joshua J. Newhard, Fisheries Biologist, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
                  6 p.m. – Fishing Begins!!
                  June 3rd, 2012
                  12:30 p.m. – Fishing Ends
                  1 p.m. – Fish Weigh-in
                  12:30 to 2:30 p.m. – Invasive Species Tasting and Flying Dog Beer Sampling
                  This Tasting is open to the public and it is free!
                  ■Snakehead Tasting (Prepared by Chad Wells, Executive Chef, Alewife, Baltimore, MD)
                  ■Blue Catfish Tasting (Provided by ProFish prepared by the Whackfactor Outdoors Pro-Staff)
                  ■Flying Dog Beer Sampling (Ben Savage, VP Marketing and Brand Development, Flying Dog Brewery, will share some amazing beers)
                  ■You must be 21 to sample beers.
                  2:30 p.m. – Presentation of Tournament Winners
                  2:45 p.m. – Closing Remarks by Steve Vilnit, Fisheries Marketing Director, Maryland Department of Natural Resources

This tourney sparks my interest too... it has an individual and team category... teams up to 6 people.. total weight!! cool idea

Comment

Talked to a local fisherman that has fish traps for white perch (commercial fisherman) on the creek behind Cobb Island in the Wicomico...he had a bunch of blue cats and a 27 inch snakehead....
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I like the idea for the support to HOW. For scheduling the event time of the year, when is best for catching these bad guys? Please keep me posted--this could become an annual regional kayak event and have a lot of potential for Press coverage. "HOW takes on the invasive terrorists!"

Comment

Maybe you could contact that tournament and see if they would be open to a separate kayak division that you could promote run in sync with that tourny??

Comment

I will contact them and ask that question. However, I still woud like to do something for HOW via those who follow this form too.
                          US Army (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                          X