Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip

I took a 312 mile round trip road trip Sunday- I had a Hobie Outback on top of my Ford Focus- the Yakima roof rack with Land Shark Saddles held the Outback upright just like it floats- I did not use bow and stern tie downs- I secured it to my car by strapping it to each roof rack with one inch wide nylon straps- Drove from Waldorf in Southern Maryland up 301 to Annapolis across the Bay Bridge to Salisbury then backroads down to Stockton- there were stretches of 65 MPH speed limits but mostly it was posted at 55- I drove 5 mph over the limit on all stretches of road- This morning I filled up my car to go to work- on a hunch I computed my gas mileage with the big bulky Outback on a windy Sunday- 30 mpg...not bad!
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-17-2012, 06:25 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I didn't think I needed front and rear tie downs, but I use them anyway. On one trip I noticed the front tie down was off-center. That is, it was not in it's usually position. The rear tie also looked off. I eventually pulled over to check it out. My Outback had slipped off the saddles. So, even though the two main cross straps hold the yak down well, the front/rear tie downs have important benefits.

You had a small sedan, and I didn't know you got a truck. Good work. Now you can also haul home the really big fish
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Ron -

That is excellent mileage. The operating cost for kayak fishing is so much lower than for power boats.

I'm sure you have your reasons for not using a front and rear tie down. Under most circumstances, the side-to-side tie down should be sufficient. I would be more concerned if you ever had to make an emergency stop (stopped car; deer runs in front of you, etc.).

I also wonder what a car insurance company might say/do if you did suffer damage or caused and had not used the recommended tie downs?
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's why I take my wife's diesel Golf when I go on longer trips. It gets ~43mpg. I haven't checked it with the yak on top, but there's usually quite a bit of around town driving before it needs to be refilled. I don't like yaking out of it, though, because there isn't much room for all the bulky items like the pedals and my crate. Even my paddles broken down are wider than the interior of the car. A second paddler isn't an option, either. I wish we had cowboyed up and opted for the Jetta wagon when we bought it.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I find that my gas mileage doesnt really change much hauling my Outback on top of my Ford Escape, I usually get about 21-22 mpg. I think that's about as good as it gets for a non-hybrid suv.

When I tie down my yak I use 2 cam straps over the top of the yak that also go through the roof rack and just a rear ratchet strap to my tow hitch. I never had anything move at all...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I have a cargo van...yak fits inside and the doors close. No lifting onto the roof, no tie downs, and no change in gas mileage (which is crap to begin with)

Comment

I have a '94 Cherokee and I don't trust the factory roof rack so I always use front and rear tie downs. I just feel safer with them on. On my old CJ-7 I just strap it straight to the roll cage and all is good.
              Attached Files
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                I didn't think I needed front and rear tie downs, but I use them anyway. On one trip I noticed the front tie down was off-center. That is, it was not in it's usually position. The rear tie also looked off. I eventually pulled over to check it out. My Outback had slipped off the saddles. So, even though the two main cross straps hold the yak down well, the front/rear tie downs have important benefits.

You had a small sedan, and I didn't know you got a truck. Good work. Now you can also haul home the really big fish
                I adjusted my Land Shark Saddles to fit my Outback perfectly, when I carry my OK Prowler I have to re-adjust the saddles as it is a lot different hull configuration. I have never had any movement at all with these saddles, Tuf- I highly recommend them. And the Yakima Roof Rack system is rock solid- I think you could hookup a hoist on them and pickup my car-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I don't have roof rails so I just tie mine down upright using foam blocks. I put two straps around the sides and one fore and aft in a triangle shape. I haven't checked the mileage since I haven't made any long trips yet. My 2004 Camry gets 26 mpg at 78 MPH and 30 mpg at 65 MPH. With the price of gas lately, I am becoming more law abiding.

Much thanks to the guys who told me about twisting the straps to cut down wind noise. Man, the day I picked up my yak from ANP the noise was louder than my power boat. Amazing what a little twisting can do.

Regards,
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I usually see just under 30mpg in my saturn...which is over 20 years old BTW. That mileage figure doesnt change much with my yak loaded on top.

This is how mytmouse and I rolled on Sunday though...

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

Beautiful Jeeps

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                      I have a '94 Cherokee and I don't trust the factory roof rack so I always use front and rear tie downs. I just feel safer with them on. On my old CJ-7 I just strap it straight to the roll cage and all is good.
                      I love your jeeps! I drive a 1994 Wrangler as my daily driver. I transport my kayaks using a utility trailer that I tow.

Comment

Working...
                      X