Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boater Killed Sat.

http://www.laurelstar.com/

Heard this on the local radio station so I looked it up. Extremely sad and eye opening. Also concerns me being in a kayak, If a boat can get ran into a kayak definitely can. I would imagine these bass boats were running full throttle 50 mph+ not much room for error at that speed. The nanticoke is also a very slim river that far north.

Wear a PFD, you never plan on accidents
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

As most know, it happened to me last year. I was hit by a boat while kayak fishing. It was the last thing that I thought would happen. I had a flag up and was wearing hunter orange in a bright yellow kayak. It can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      As most know, it happened to me last year. I was hit by a boat while kayak fishing. It was the last thing that I thought would happen. I had a flag up and was wearing hunter orange in a bright yellow kayak. It can happen.
      I was there that day...My son and I now have air horns but a bass boat at 50+ is scary.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
        I was there that day...My son and I now have air horns but a bass boat at 50+ is scary.
        ........ yeah and they will go 70 ......... and you sit so low that by the time you see something you've hit it .......... it's a wonder the manufacturers haven't been sued out of business and the law lets them exist ........

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
          Sounds like I might be getting an air horn now, seems like more and more boat accidents these days.
          '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
          '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
          Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

i keep an air horn in my kayak's cupholder. it's not a cure all but from what i can tell - i think that's only thing that might have changed situation with Dogfish. i think he was highly visible in yellow kayak with orange flag. the guy that ran him over just wasn't watching in where he was going. fwiw - in low light situations, i think a hand-held flashlight pointed at an approaching boat and waved is more visible than your fixed light.

i read the article from the link - really a shame. i'm sure it's possible, and a lot of fun to use the high speed bass boats safely but that wasn't what happened that day.

Comment

Also, recently a man was drowned when attacked by a swan. I know this has nothing to do with being visible to other boats but I thought it was worth mentioning. I just saw this on the news tonight.
              http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...22419820120417

Stay safe!

Comment

I was fishing tbe bank at Fletchers on Saturday when a couple fellows pulled up on their new Field and Stream Kayak from Dicks. One of them was nice enough to save my $8 spinner bait from a tangle.

Long story short, they took their yaks on a maiden voyage Saturday morning with another friend. The third guy somehow capsized his boat and it sank in the deep channel. He luckily made it to shore. Brand new boat along with his gear!

Be careful out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                  i keep an air horn in my kayak's cupholder. it's not a cure all but from what i can tell - i think that's only thing that might have changed situation with Dogfish. i think he was highly visible in yellow kayak with orange flag. the guy that ran him over just wasn't watching in where he was going. fwiw - in low light situations, i think a hand-held flashlight pointed at an approaching boat and waved is more visible than your fixed light.

i read the article from the link - really a shame. i'm sure it's possible, and a lot of fun to use the high speed bass boats safely but that wasn't what happened that day.
                  Good advice on the flashlight.... I went out night fishing in my kayak alone last summer off Chesapeake beach (wont be doing that again). I had a pulsing white light on a flag, but the boat coming in behind me wasn't slowing down. I shined a bright LED flashlight right at him and he cut the throttle, then diverted.
                  2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

i had similar experience with a commercial boat. he wasn't on a direct collision course but it was pre-sunrise and cold water. so i wanted to make sure he knew i was there before passing close. i think the hand-held conveys an element of communication that is noticeable.
                    Last edited by Southerly; 04-25-2012, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Any recommended small waterproof strong can-see-during-daylight flashlight?
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Turns out my wife had this stashed away.

At 200 lumens, hope it's bright enough during the day. I like the fact it has hi and low beams AND a strobe too. It's weather resistance, not waterproof.

I prefer flashing a beam at boaters over honking a horn. With a flashlight, I can flash the beam at boaters well before the "potential hazard distance." Whereas, I believe, you would honk at the boater when he's "too close for comfort." A flash will give an earlier head-ups warning.
                        Attached Files
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nothing would have prevented that accident, except patience by the guy behind the other boat. Bass boat guys get this mentality they have to run full speed with a 150 Hp outboard to beat the other guy to every spot.
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                            Nothing would have prevented that accident, except patience by the guy behind the other boat. Bass boat guys get this mentality they have to run full speed with a 150 Hp outboard to beat the other guy to every spot.
                            Yeah I am surprised it doesn't happen more often. Just today I saw two bass boats almost running side by side blasting right through the middle of all the boats anchored and drifting fishing on the Susquehanna Flats.

You would think they would at least be courteous to their fellow fisherman and go around where everyone was fishing not right through the center. Way too easy to hit someone, snag an anchor or fishing line blasting through there, not to mention scare all the fish.
                            Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Courtesy and Respect are something many people are short on these days
                              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                              X