20 degrees below normal average

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 degrees below normal average

Crazy weather- today is twenty degrees below the daily normal average for the third week of April...after the warmest winter, colder than normal April- did it affect fishing? You bet! Although there were some nice fish caught on opening day, there were an awful lot of skunked boats, too. Overall, it was a disappointing opening day...was it due to colder than average daily temps or was it due to less than normal rainfall or a combination of both? The dropping baramoter of a developing northeaster storm may have more to do with it than either factor.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

According to the Tackle Box and what I saw on tidalfish, it looked like boats fishing near the mouth of the Patuxent did well. If Piney Point was that crowded, I can't imagine what it looked like out there. Plus, I've found Patuxent boaters to be more rude and less observant than those in the Potomac or from St. Jerome's, so fishing out there on Saturday would've been a risky proposition.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Crazy weather indeed! Cool waves during summer can turn fish on... but cold waves (like now) during the spring can shut the fishing down cold turkey.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        According to the Tackle Box and what I saw on tidalfish, it looked like boats fishing near the mouth of the Patuxent did well. If Piney Point was that crowded, I can't imagine what it looked like out there. Plus, I've found Patuxent boaters to be more rude and less observant than those in the Potomac or from St. Jerome's, so fishing out there on Saturday would've been a risky proposition.
        I had a 27 foot Grady White come by at the ship channel trolling Saturday, Bill- the captain was telling his passengers- "look at that kayaker-- they will do anything to get out here"- as if I was not allowed to fish in his waters...I felt the irritation from him that I had the nerve to come out in my kayak-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X