Hello all... Questions for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all... Questions for a newbie

Hey all. I introduced myself a few months ago after I bought a Malibu Kayak. Well I finally got to take it on its maiden voyage last Friday to see how it was. So far I have no complaints( other then some sore shoulders and neck, this normal?). The kayak was very stable and all of my electronics worked without issue. I even caught my first pickerel, about 15".

Before all of this I had a nice 20' center console last year and was forced to get rid of it at the end of the summer due to just not using it with three small kids. I got really good at fishing the pilings on the east side of the bridge, so good that I had 3 other guys doing the same thing, and I was the only one catching anything. I guess I just understood everything really well from reading what Kimbro has on his website. That said I bought a kayak due to the fact that I have used them in NC while on vacation and really liked the solitude from it. Here are a few questions for the guys that have a little experience with this.

As said I like fishing the east side, so one, I want to make sure we are allowed to fish out of Hemmingways. I dont mind stopping in an getting a drink or food afterwards.

If not, how far of a walk is it for Terrapin Park to the beach?

What do I need to know about fishing the bridge from a yak? I dont have all this cool clothing to fish with, just some waterproof pants and UA long sleeve shirts. I usually carry a fleece with me if i need it. What else am I missing?

As far as equipment, I have a flag with light, inflatable vest, and plan on getting a air horn and whistle. Missing??

I just want to make sure I am setup and feel comfortable. I know there are many dangers, so it will be a learning experience, and will probably go with someone( Any takers?) who want to fish there as soon and it lays down and I can get out.

Thanks for the input!
    Keith
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Hey Keith...glad ur enjoying the yak. The soreness is normal if you havent paddled rigorously in a while. Your body will get used to it quickly.

As far as east side launching, the launch at Hemmingway's beach isn't legally allowed anymore. However, we are permitted to launch at the Bay Bridge Marina at the G Dock for free. If you do a quick search for the g dock here, you should be able to find the info you need on that. I haven't launched from the Terrapin Park beach, but people who have say that the walk on the path/trail sucks.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
      Hey Keith...glad ur enjoying the yak. The soreness is normal if you havent paddled rigorously in a while. Your body will get used to it quickly.

As far as east side launching, the launch at Hemmingway's beach isn't legally allowed anymore. However, we are permitted to launch at the Bay Bridge Marina at the G Dock for free. If you do a quick search for the g dock here, you should be able to find the info you need on that. I haven't launched from the Terrapin Park beach, but people who have say that the walk on the path/trail sucks.
      Also, when launching from G Dock, as a courtesy to the owners allowing the MKF crew to use the dock, park your car more to the back of the parking lot when possible. Do not litter, and keep the noise level down since there are boaters that stay there in their boats like a weekend home from time to time. We have not had any issues, but just keep this in mind, since it is free for us.

Comment

Keith, when are you free? I'll go. Terrapin is not bad if you have a cart and it is less than 100 degrees outside. It's closer to the sewer pipe too. Biggest issue is you can only fish dawn to dusk. They aggressively close the park down at sunset and they will hassle you.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

RedFish12

Friday afternoon is looking really good. Supposed to lay down to almost nothing in the afternoon from what I am seeing. I was thinking about leaving around 12 from work with everything, which means I would be to the park around 1pm and fish until?? I do have a good cart, and I walk 3 blocks now with my kayak from my house to put in, so that's not a big deal. My biggest thing is what clothing I should have to this. I usually fish in the summer when you don't have to worry about clothes to much, but its only supposed to be 60 that day. I guess a fleece should be enough. Let me know what you think about going.
          Keith
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Looks like the weather gods changed there mind about Friday, it supposed to be blowing around 10-15mph now from the NW. I will have to see how things work for that. I haven't been out in anything serious yet, so it might provide an interesting ride and time.
            Keith
            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I'm gone to NC for a fly fishing / kayaking / father son uncle trip so that won't work for me anyway. I can go Thursday after work or next weekend though
              Used to fish more.

Comment

tomorrow not looking to good either so we will have to try for next weekend, so PM me if you want to try and go.
                Keith
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                X