Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Spear-Fishing, the other kind of kayak-fishing

Kayak Spear-Fishing, the other kind of kayak-fishing

Well it used be called “Tank Well” – the space behind the seat on a kayak.
    But kayakers don’t usually use tanks for diving. And we (kayakers) fish with rods and reels, or perhaps spears without tanks.

Some of our members were communicating about the new challenge – “Kayak Spear-Fishing”

I am heading for Cape Henlopen State Park if the weather isn’t too bad to fish with a rod and a reel. If doable I will spear-fish.

I am bringing one rod and a spear gun for fishing. If visibility is good, I will look for flounder under the pier.

One of the Safety tips I developed in not-so-clear water: I usually swipe the area before the first dive because of crab pot ropes and fishing lines. I paddle back and forth the area with a heavy sinker with a hook from a rod. If I don’t catch any thing that can trap me under water, I feel more comfortable.

We will develop more safety procedures because we will be new to the not-so-clear water

BTW, spear-fishing off a kayak is quite different from "off a power boat" in many aspects.

Are you into video taping your adventure?

You can video tape your adventure. Here is the last video I took in Bahamas just using a pole spear.

You will see Sheepshead and Spade fish - Think about the PILINGS at CBBT where Pinch and Tufnik caught the fish. And it will be very easy in Caribbean and FL. Just think about it:

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Cool video.

I bet those snapper tasted wonderful.

Meadeo
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

When I fished the CBBT in July last year there were two guys spear fishing with hand spears only about 1/4 mile out along the pilings. They were going for spades, but everytime they went down and came up they were talking about a new big fish they saw down there including, sheepshead, black drum, flounder and other stuff I cant remember.

Is there any additional license required for spearfishing? I wouldnt mind giving it a try...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Cool video, Joe. I use to spear-fish in Hawaii in my younger days, and so your video inspires me to give it a try around here. Sometimes I think I'm too old for that though.

When are you going to CHSP? Will you try to spear at Roosevelt Inlet too? I wonder if keeper flounder have come in.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Regular fishing license is good usually. But there are a few restrictions. For example shooting a striper is illegal in VA Tidal water.

The best way to start is going out with friends in summer. No reason to buy equipments.

This year, some of us will figure out what we need for MD/VA/DE fishing by trying multiple places.

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Mangrove snapper and trigger fish--good eatin! Did you get any hog snappers or lobsters? Love shooting da fish.

Only suggestion for your standard operating procedures (SOP) is a knife. I like your idea about draggin lines, but with a knife you'll be able to cut out the lines and nets you might still encounter. Do you have a stringer as well? They can save on trips back to the boat/kayak.

Noticed your sling spear. I used a sling one time on a big amber jack. Got so excited--forgot to take the plastic protector off the tip. Hit that big guy and scared the you know what out of him. Surprised my buddy when I told him I was practicing a new shooting and releasing technique! He didn't buy it either.

Nice vdeo with scenery and company! Thanks really enjoyed it.

Comment

I imagine that the visibility in the Chesapeake bay would be around 1 ft or less....
              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
                I imagine that the visibility in the Chesapeake bay would be around 1 ft or less....
                Kipto: Oneday it was about 15'. The following week it was about 6' (east wind)

CBBT: 1/4 mile off the shore is about 15-20' I heard on a good day. I have not tried the place yet.

Some of us are starting this year. We will know more about the places and pave the way for Upper Bay anglers.

Joe

Comment

Vacation is always for my wife. So I don’t plan my activities that leave my wife alone for a long time. I wished I could join spear-fishing groups sometimes. But walking and picking shells in the sandy beach always pays a lot more dividend in the long run. I do my stuff while going along with her plan when there is a small window of opportunity. I didn’t see big red or hog snapper where I was. I saw some huge lobster. But the lobster season was closed.
                  I saw some guys brought in some huge red snapper. The red snapper were caught in 15’ of water
                  Yes we will come up with the safety procedure.

Thanks,
                  Joe

Comment

Started off with mask and snorkle looking for madtoms in the south fork of the shenandoah to target the smallies. The water was so clear and with all the grass coming up with a rock and pebble bottom, I thought this is what it would be like to swim in that little aquarium I had as a kid in my room. Bought a sling pole and went several more times tagging several big cats while they were laying up on rock shelves. Somebody hollard at me, saying it was illegal. I never bother to check that info out, assumed it was and didn't go back to spear anymore.

Have been dying to give it a try in some big water. utube has many a video on spear fishing and I am always impressed at the length of time these guys can hold their breath.

your vacation looked wonderful.

Comment

ComeOnFish I really want to get into this. I tried to last year but could never meet up with the guys who offered to take me because of work. Maybe we could all plan a weekend trip this summer.
                      -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                      -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Mango and MDFishing,
                        We (DC metro/Upper Bay anglers) are disadvantageous in kayak spear-fishing, but some of us will figure out when, how and where to do this. And we will shre the knowledge

joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          Kipto: Oneday it was about 15'. The following week it was about 6' (east wind)

CBBT: 1/4 mile off the shore is about 15-20' I heard on a good day. I have not tried the place yet.

Some of us are starting this year. We will know more about the places and pave the way for Upper Bay anglers.

Joe
                          Wow I didn't expect that..... I'm getting interested now.
                          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I know the OC inlet can reach 10 ft plus vis on a good day. The trick is to hit an INCOMING tide, it brings in the clean ocean water. In an inlet like OC you need to hit the very top of the incoming tide, right before slack. then you have a little time in the slack to spear also. But most of the local guys said you never get more than an hour per tide. Im sure other locations are different but im always concerned about current more so than snags. Think about CBBT if your fishing an outgoing, or even an incoming you could get pulled away from structure and safety in a heartbeat...and be very far away from anything
                            -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Its probably best to leave the OC inlet to experienced divers as the current really rips through there.

Also, its probably best to stay within reasonable swimming distance of shore at CBBT atleast until you've had a few trips, in my experience the current is not nearly as strong there as out by the islands.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X