Year-End Review for 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year-End Review for 2021

COVID lingers as we head into 2022. However, unlike the early months of 2020, there was no restriction on recreational fishing in MD in 2021. Virus precautions impacted other aspects of life, but at least we could go fishing.

I don’t know how many times I fished in 2021. Nor do I know how many fish I caught. I do know that I had a good year. Each outing provided its own satisfaction regardless of the number of fish I netted or their sizes.

In lieu of keeping precise catch records, I photograph some of the fish I hook and other things I find interesting on the water. I’ve been doing this for ten years. My photos have changed in that time. I now take more images of those “other things” than fish. It’s not that I am complacent about hooking fish. But for me, fishing is about more than catching.

WINTER
    My first catch of 2021 was this bass from Ingrams Pond, DE on 4 January:

P1060244 (2).jpg

I followed that DE outing throughout January with several trips to Eastern Shore ponds, primarily to catch pickerels on the fly. They obliged on each outing. Indeed, I would take my chances with streamer flies and pickerels in the coldest months of winter against any live minnow angler fishing for them. On more than one occasion I caught picks on the fly near anglers having no luck who were trailing minnow buckets behind their kayaks or canoes. Once, a frustrated minnow caster in DE observing my success plaintively asked me what I was using for “bait”.

My February was “fishless”, the only month in 2021 in which that happened. Poor weather and family obligations prevented me from fishing. That’s why I cherish each opportunity to fish. I don’t need to keep score with fish counts to assess the merits of a day in my kayak. Getting out is the reward.

I was back on the water in March. Pickerels predominated my catches along with an occasional crappie or bass in Eastern Shore ponds. All three species will hit the same streamer flies creating anticipation and surprise each time I hooked up. I caught this March crappie on a Bendback Minnow in Smithville Lake, MD:

Mark Crappie.jpg

SPRING
    Topwater fly fishing is my favorite technique. Bass, bluegills and pickerels provide steady surface action starting in mid-April. This May largemouth hit a foam popper cast tight to shore in Columbia’s Centennial Lake.

P1060347 (3).jpg

However, there was a topwater bonus in the spring of 2021. We were visited by millions of Brood X Cicadas beginning in late May. This one landed on my arm while was fishing:

P1050521 (3).jpg
    At first, it disturbed me seeing them struggling on the water. The Severn River was covered with fluttering cicadas. I “rescued” many of them. I know I was interrupting the circle of life. But I had a hard time passing a drowning cicada in my kayak. I scooped up hundreds in my net and released them on shore. It was my contribution to future generations of Brood X … and to Annapolis residents who will be sweeping them from their sidewalks in 2038, 2055 and so on.

Those floundering bugs awakened sleeping giants in our waters, especially in our reservoirs. Carp, which normally patrol deep water epitomized the definition of gluttony in their cicada eating frenzies. They surfaced to consume the helpless cicadas, which was not an easy act for them given carp anatomy. The downward angle of their mouth is designed to root food from lake and river bottoms. They’re not natural topwater feeders. Some carp would porpoise out of the water and hit the cicadas on their way down. Others would turn on their sides and gently slurp in a cicada ending the insect’s short stay in the sunlight after spending 17 years underground.

My primal hunting instincts awakened. I stopped saving cicadas and started using them as decoys. This simple foam cicada imitation worked wonders in tricking carp:

IMG_4480 (2).jpg
    I would cast it near a live cicada and twitch it slightly. Given a choice, a rising carp would usually hit the live cicada first. Then another carp, that was closely following the first one, would take my imitation. Sometimes, I would sight-cast a few feet in front of a cruising carp looking for a meal. That technique worked also. It was tremendous fun. Here’s one of many Triadelphia Reservoir carp that fell victim to my cicada fly:

P1050545 (4).jpg
    So, I will long remember the spring of 2021 as the year of the cicada and the hungry carp that found them so tasty. This was probably my last dance with them. I’ll be 84 years old when they return.

SUMMER
    In summer, I turned my attention to white perch. I caught them on minnow imitation flies and my own homemade spinner jigs. White perch never arrive soon enough. I start fishing for them in tidal creeks before the official arrival of summer. Those early June trips involve more paddling and pedaling than perch catching. By true summer, white perch populate our creeks in good numbers in predictable areas. At times, it’s hard to not catch one.

I hooked a bunch of them this year by using a small dropper fly under a foam float. On the same trips, in the same areas, some perch would hit my relatively large noisy jig spinner while some preferred a small fly dangling under a float. Go figure…In fact, I caught a striper and a pickerel with the same dropper technique.

perch flies (3).jpg
    Above shows the float and dropper flies I made for this approach. Indeed, many kinds of small flies worked under the float. Non fly anglers can do the same with an ultralight spinning rod, a bobber and a fly.

Snakeheads were a summer quest that eluded me this year. I had moderate success with them in 2020 on conventional tackle and thought I had them figured out. I caught none in 2021 despite several trips dedicated specifically for snakeheads in nearby tidal creeks. I cast poppers and streamers to the edges of SAV and weedless paddletails directly into the vegetation. I had a few follows and lost a couple from the hook. No catches, though.

I delayed publication of my book, Fly by the Seat of Your Kayak, for weeks this past summer hoping to include a section on snakeheads on the fly. But I could not in good faith write it when I had never succeeded in catching one that way. Maybe 2022 is the year for me to get one on the fly.

A new species for me in 2021 was bowfins. I did not catch them with flies nor was I in my kayak, but I boated many this summer on VA’s Piankatank River using weedless soft plastics as lures. They’re not related to snakeheads but their body shape is similar and they haunt the same waters. They go absolutely crazy when hooked, jumping and spinning more than any other species I have caught.

I didn’t target or catch striped bass often in 2021. Striper stocks are down and that was one reason for my hesitancy. Nor am I a trolling enthusiast which is an efficient way to catch them. But I did cast for stripers on a handful of Eastern Shore trips, hooking mostly small fish. I caught only 4 or 5 legal stripers this year by tossing paddletails and flies. I would leave areas where I was hooking small ones to avoid harming them. When experts confirm striper stocks have rebounded, I’ll chase them more frequently.

The broken stripe pattern on this fish was interesting but its small size encouraged me to move on:

P1060321 (2).jpg
    FALL
    In a change of pace from my kayak, I thoroughly enjoyed a guided float trip on the Juniata River in PA for smallmouth bass in October. I felt spoiled to have a guide row and steer the boat. All I had to do was to sit in my seat and cast my popper to where he pointed. Topwater smallmouths are incredible fun. I will do this float trip again next year.

Nine (2).jpg
    (Thanks to John Rentch who joined me on that outing for the above photo.)

In November, I concentrated on local tidal creeks. In addition to pickerels and holdover white perch, largemouth bass and channel cats showed up in good numbers in upper Magothy creeks. This 21-inch Magothy River channel cat put a nice bend in my 7-weight fly rod. It hit a red articulated crystal bugger:

P1050586 (4).jpg

In December, as water temperatures approach 40 degrees, I have been tracking pickerels. This is a transition month for them. They are neurotic now, unsure of where to go. The vegetation they cling to in warmer weather is dying. Some may hold near the remnants of decaying lily pads. Others will hover on downed wood or dock pilings. A few will be in deeper water to avoid chilly shallows after a cold night. I’ve netted dozens of them this fall but like white perch fishing in early June, I know the best pickerel fishing is yet to come in the weeks to follow.

Winter starts officially in seven days. Another fishing season and soon a new year will begin. If COVID allows, I will travel more in 2022. My bucket list has long included a western U.S. trout outing. I’ve enrolled in an April trout fly fishing class in VA to learn more about trout techniques. Then I hope to pursue rainbows, browns and cutthroats in a wide western river where I can see vast open country, tall mountains and bears – with the bears being on the opposite side of the river, of course!

So, the above summarizes my fishing year. Nothing exotic or epic, mostly local and, as always, I enjoyed each outing.

If you’ve gotten this far in my post, thank you for sticking with it. I wish all Snaggedliners a joyful Holiday Season and a Happy New Year.

Now, I look forward to reading about your 2021 fishing year and what you hope to accomplish on the water in 2022.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-14-2021, 12:25 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark, none of your pictures are showing up for me but I enjoyed your write-up anyway. It sounds like you had a great year, especially with those carp. I rarely catch carp and the few that I have caught put up a great fight, I bet it’s even better on the fly rod. This is a fun topic you’ve posted and I really look forward to hearing from others too. I took some time and wrote a little introspective summary of my 2021 fishing year and some things that I think really contributed to my enjoyment of time spent on the water. I had a very fun year and I’m eagerly looking forward to 2022.....

2021 was a great year for me. I think I spent more time on the water than any other year and I attribute this to several changes that made fishing more successful and enjoyable and kept me always wanting to go back for more. First and foremost, this was my first full year with a pedal kayak. I bought my Hobie Outback the day after Thanksgiving in 2020 and have had it out on the water at least a couple times each month since then, sometimes as often as twice a week or more. I can fully say this kayak opened up many doors for me and how I approach fishing. I wanted a pedal driven kayak so that I could travel greater distances while on the water and add trolling to my repertoire. I chose the Hobie because I learned in my research that the fins of the Mirage drive offer more efficient propulsion than a propeller style drive at the expense of close-quarters maneuverability. Given my reasons for wanting a pedal driven kayak in the first place, efficient propulsion won that debate easily.

Once I had that kayak I put it to good use. I started trolling for rockfish when the water got warm enough and after reading a few books, talking and fishing with forum members, and putting in my own hours on the water I became pretty proficient at it. This was a method of fishing I had never really done prior to this year and now I can say it is one of my favorite ways of fishing. I can see why some would think it’s boring but I find it very exciting when the peacefulness of leisurely pedaling around is interrupted by a rod doubling over in the holder and drag peeling off the reel.

I also participated in a kayaking relay race to raise money and awareness for Chesapeake Bay restoration. This was an 8-day long event where each day participants paddled anywhere from 15 to 30 miles starting at the mouth of the Susquehanna on Day 1 and finishing up at the Atlantic Ocean on day 8. Other participants in their feather-light, 16-inch-wide, 19-foot-long Kevlar surfskis scoffed at me, but I pedaled my 90 pound, 34” beam, Hobie Outback more than 28 miles down the eastern shore from Taylor’s Island to Crocheron in 8.5 hours. I knew this would be a test of endurance, pushing myself and my gear to the limits and it certainly was… I have no interest in doing it again any time soon… but the feeling of accomplishment after succeeding was unforgettable. I was buzzing for days.

Back in the fishing world, another thing that elevated my game was the addition of a GPS-enabled fish finder to my arsenal. This helped me better plan my trips and increase my odds of catching by following certain contours and other underwater points of interest that I may have otherwise never have known existed. I also found the waypoints and trails feature to be very helpful… whenever I caught a fish while trolling I could mark it with a waypoint and go back and troll the exact same route by following the trails on the screen. Following this procedure had me hooking with two fish at a time on every single pass by a precise location on one trip, something I could not have pulled off without the GPS. As a bonus I now have a visual record of everywhere I’ve caught fish and I can revisit these spots on subsequent trips.

I also tried new things in 2021. I tried my hand at crabbing for the first time. I bought myself 10 collapsible traps and deployed them from my kayak. My very first trip I caught nearly half a bushel and had a blast. I couldn’t believe it was that easy to catch crabs and thought surely it had to be beginners luck. It was. Crabbing this summer was brutal and I caught single-digits of crabs more times than not. One time a boat wake rocked my kayak and my whole stack of traps fell overboard… I spent nearly 90 minutes swimming and searching for them and finally did recover them. Still, it was fun and rewarding to bring home crabs for a meal, even if it was a small meal, and we ate crabs more times this year than ever. I’m sure I’ll stick with it but it will definitely remain a side hobby of mine. I also went on a few fishing “missions” where I traveled to waters I don’t regularly fish and targeted species I don’t regularly catch, namely speckled trout and red drum. These trips were often successful (again, with the help of some forum members!) and were some of my most memorable and enjoyable trips this year. Highlights from these trips include a 24” red drum and an 18” speckled trout… and a speckled trout that I lost right at the boat that was every bit of 24 inches… that one haunts me.

I’ll mention one more topic that I think contributed to my fishing success and enjoyment this year, and that is data tracking. This is in the complete opposite vein of Mark’s approach to enjoying time on the water, but I made a diligent effort to track every single fish that I caught this year. Seeing those numbers rack up was a motivator for me and even the mediocre trips felt a little bit more productive when I got to go home and chalk up a few more fish in the spreadsheet. I was also surprised at the numbers of certain species that I caught – never would I have guessed that I’d catch more rockfish than white perch in a year. Thus far I’m at 548 fish and I still have a few more trips planned before 2021 is over. Next year I plan to track even more data including location and skunk trips… I already have my new spreadsheet all laid out.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for joining in on the topic and also thank you for noting that my photos were not showing. Another person sent me a PM saying the same thing. The oddity is that they were showing as I viewed the post on my laptop. However, I just edited my post and re-inserted my pictures. I hope they appear now.

Congrats on your successful year and continued success to you in capturing data. Also, thank you for your contributions to the forum this year. They've always been well written and cogent.

I used to record my outings years ago. However, at my age a journal would be highly redundant. Fishing is seasonal. I know which species to target throughout the year. I know what techniques work where and when. Further, I alter tactics as needed. Species availability and responses may change slightly from year to year, from trip to trip, and sometimes even during an outing. So, I fish with present awareness foremost -- not ignoring the lessons I learned in the past, but not expecting them to reliably predict the future either. A journal would neither help me catch more fish nor motivate me to pursue them. And ultimately, I'm too lazy to write it all down as it happens anyway.

But continued success to you in capturing your data. Whatever helps you get the most from the hobby is a good thing.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

2021- Coronavirus was still with us but during April was able to get fully vaccinated. The year of big gator speckled trout and the return of slot reds...it was an unbelievable year for me...my best year- best speck was 25 inches and the same for redfish...I managed to score a 30 inch striper on top water to keep my streak of at least one 30 inch rock fish every year alive....for the third year in a row I chose not take Stripers home for dinner...dozens of legal fish caught and released but with the striper population in trouble and other species available I passed on taking them. We were able to share our southern fishery with a lot of fellow Snaggedliners and most were successful. As 2021 comes to a close wishing my fellow kayak fishermen (women) a very Merry Christmas, a healthy and happy New Year! Tight lines!
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great report Mark, I don't remember your dropper/popper technique for white perch. Thanks for the write up and the photos.

Comment

Thanks Ron. I know some of us up here in the mid-Chesapeake region marveled at the specks and reds you folks were catching this year. Those species returned in good numbers which was excellent news. Let's hope they return in the new year.

Tom -- I think I mentioned the dropper method in a post this year. But I don't believe I showed a photo of the float or flies. The interesting thing is that a perch never hit the float, not even a look. Sometimes I fish a dropper for bluegills. By the way, "bluegill bully" flies (below) work great for perch too.

Bullies.jpg

When I target bluegills, I use a real popper on the surface and tie the dropper to the hook. About 10% of the time, I'll get a bluegill on the popper. The majority hit the dropper -- which makes me wonder how many I miss when I cast only a popper at them.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
            X