Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone launched off at Ferry point marina on Magothy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone launched off at Ferry point marina on Magothy?

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 7.59.13 PM.png
    Looks like Atlantic Marina at Arnold offers a kayak launch at their site.

Has anyone launched off there? How's fishing there?
    Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

I have never launched a kayak there. About a decade ago, I fished several times with a friend who had purchased an annual launch ramp permit at that marina for his Bass Tracker boat. We fished a variety of Magothy creeks during the fall and winter months. We caught many pickerel and yellow perch. But like most of the tidal water spots, the fish are not equally spaced along all shorelines. You have to put in the work to find them. My friend had fished for many years in the Magothy and knew where the fish were most likely to be.

This is the marina that shares a property with The Point restaurant.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

yeah the launch cost always deterred me from wanting to fish there. There is an Anne Arundel county park free launch just a little further down the river.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        yeah the launch cost always deterred me from wanting to fish there. There is an Anne Arundel county park free launch just a little further down the river.
        Sprigg's Farm? How is it launching there?
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Spriggs Farm is indeed an A.A. County Launch site. It's about 2 miles SE of the Ferry Point Marina in Mill Creek on the same southern shoreline of the Magothy River.

Note that Spriggs Farm is gated. This website gives you the location and entry instructions: https://www.aacounty.org/locations-a...on-the-magothy

Spriggs Farm launches into the river itself, not a creek. There is a bit of a steep hill at the launch site but it's not a long hilly trek like the county's Magothy launch site at Beachwood Park. Dobbins Island is across the way from the Spriggs Farm. The river is wide there and it is not a launch site I would utilize in cold weather due to wind and waves. I have launched there in warm weather and I have caught nice stripers in the river near the launch.

Most of my fishing in the Magothy occurs in the upper portion of the river reachable from Beachwood Park and various community launch sites. I have yet to find a Magothy Creek, cove or tidal pond that did not produce well -- Cockey Creek, Old Man Creek, Cat Tail Creek, Tar Hill Cove, etc. What has impressed me is the variety of species in those areas of the Magothy from largemouth bass and bluegills to channel cats, pickerels, white and yellow perch and stripers.

I have not fished Mill Creek in the Magothy, the location of Ferry Point Marina. But I suspect it would fish like the other Magothy locations I have mentioned.

So, in good weather, I would consider the trip from Spriggs Farm to Mill Creek doable and pleasant with areas along the way like Cool Spring Cove that you can fish. But I would not attempt in winter.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Spriggs Farm is indeed an A.A. County Launch site. It's about 2 miles SE of the Ferry Point Marina in Mill Creek on the same southern shoreline of the Magothy River.

Note that Spriggs Farm is gated. This website gives you the location and entry instructions: https://www.aacounty.org/locations-a...on-the-magothy

Spriggs Farm launches into the river itself, not a creek. There is a bit of a steep hill at the launch site but it's not a long hilly trek like the county's Magothy launch site at Beachwood Park. Dobbins Island is across the way from the Spriggs Farm. The river is wide there and it is not a launch site I would utilize in cold weather due to wind and waves. I have launched there in warm weather and I have caught nice stripers in the river near the launch.

Most of my fishing in the Magothy occurs in the upper portion of the river reachable from Beachwood Park and various community launch sites. I have yet to find a Magothy Creek, cove or tidal pond that did not produce well -- Cockey Creek, Old Man Creek, Cat Tail Creek, Tar Hill Cove, etc. What has impressed me is the variety of species in those areas of the Magothy from largemouth bass and bluegills to channel cats, pickerels, white and yellow perch and stripers.

I have not fished Mill Creek in the Magothy, the location of Ferry Point Marina. But I suspect it would fish like the other Magothy locations I have mentioned.

So, in good weather, I would consider the trip from Spriggs Farm to Mill Creek doable and pleasant with areas along the way like Cool Spring Cove that you can fish. But I would not attempt in winter.
            I've never used Beechwood either. The long carry to the water, plus the nearly 50 minute drive have mostly kept me away from that site. I'm intrigued to try the Magothy though, I've never fished there at all. I could probably launch from a private dock in Cattail Creek as I have a colleague who lives on the water there. I visited their dock once and saw pumpkinseed sunfish in the water. If the weather ever climbs back into the upper 40's I might ask them for permission and give it a shot for pickerel. Too cold for me to go out lately.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Dave,

You won't be sorry.

That area of the Magothy has much to offer kayak anglers.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

We used to live off that creek and I fished it a few times. Pickerel, white perch, small stripers, and a few snakeheads was the extent of my accomplishments. Frankly I never liked fishing in that creek bc it always seemed so dead / stagnant back there and had to have a lot of runoff from route 2. As Mark said, most of my Magothy fishing has been at Beachwood or closer to the mouth.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X