Kayak Checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Checklist

Greetings - There was a mention of a Kayak Checklist that folks use to plan and prep for trips. I did a search but looks like the search engine won't go into older discussions. Is anyone willing to share ? Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick
    2021 Hobie Outback

Start by thinking of those things you absolutely need: paddle, PFD, noise-making device (e.g., whistle), fishing license, at least one rod, some tackle, water and snack, communication device (cell phone or VHF radio). Then build on that with items that you might want to have. Here are some suggestions taken from seminar outlines I used many years ago.

A. Additional Gear for safety/personal comfort
    • visibility to other boaters (flag pole, bright colored paddle blades, lights for night use)
    • protective clothing (sunglasses, hat, Buff, gloves, sunscreen, etc)
    • basic first aid kit
    • spare dry clothing in dry bag
    • seat cushion
    • cart or wheels for moving kayak on land
    • digital still camera and/or video camera (possibly with mounting poles)
    B. Additional Gear for Fishing
    • rod holders (flush mount vs. surface mount vs. rocket launcher) for multiple rods
    • fishfinder/GPS (will require battery)
    • extra tackle storage (milk crate, tackle bag, etc)
    • knife, pliers, and/or lip gripper tool
    • fish measuring board (like Hawg Trough)
    • anchor and trolley
    • electric motors and large batteries
    • cooler
    • net
    • live wells (to keep bait alive)
    Depending on how you plan to transport your kayak, you may be able to store some of these items in or on the kayak all the time. For example, I transport my kayaks inside a minivan and generally leave the kayak inside there all the time. I leave rod holders, paddle, measuring board, pliers, fish grips, waterproof tackle tray (license, a few spare lures, basic first aid supplies, Leatherman tool, compass, etc), a gel seat cushion, and PFD on the kayak all the time so I don't have to worry about the checklist.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I would add seat and pedal drive to that list if you are in a pedal yak. I once drove to the eastern shore for a 5 am launch, got completely set up, and then realized that the seat for my Outback was sitting 35 minutes away in my garage. And later that summer I did the same thing except I was launching at 5:30 am and forgot my Mirage drive instead of my seat. Needless to say, both trips were less comfortable, less productive, and a lot shorter than normal.

Also in the "first aid kit" category, when fishing on the bay I always bring alcohol pads with me to wipe down any cuts or scrapes I get while on the water. Too many times have I been stuck by a perch or striper, only to then have Popeye fingers for a few days thereafter. The alcohol wipes seem to have helped with that problem.
      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

These are great tips - thank you!
        Nick
        2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Add kayak to your checklist. You'd be surprised at the number of people here who have started pulling out of the driveway or pull up to the ramp only to realize they didnt load up the kayak or attach the trailer.

Sadly, Im one of them. Luckily I realized it at the end of the driveway.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
          X