The "perfect" Perch rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "perfect" Perch rod?

I wanted to improve my Perch specific tackle from the older Brass Pro Crappie Maxx rods that I have used for the past several years.

I prefer a shorter 5'-6" rod around the docks where I concentrate most of my perching. I've busted up too many 6' + rods hitting boat lifts etc., and don't make a lot of longer casts, or troll.

Thru Amazon I bought a St. Croix Premier 5'-6" Light action rod.

However, Amazon packaged this rod so poorly that it arrived with the tip top snapped off.
    This is the second time that they have destroyed a nice rod thru their clumsy packing (no tube, just long cardboard box with no padding or bubble wrap).
    Really?
    Their loss. it was returned today for a refund, and I won't order another.

I "just happened" to be in the vicinity of Bass Pro this afternoon, so I stopped in for a quick look-see.

I did the usual rod wiggling and testing and found a rod that met my perch fishing criteria:
    5'-6"
    light action 1/16-1/4 oz lures. Ultra light model was too light
    extra fast, sensitive blank with a little backbone-never know when a striper, pickerel, or snakehead may hit my spinner jigs,
    two piece blank (not a deal breaker if it was one piece),
    modest price
    light weight blank

What's not to like?
    (I'd prefer a cork handle, I'll just have to live with that)

I purchased a couple of the Bass Pro Tourney Special rods 5'-6" light action.

My previous experience with this model was a heavier, clunky blank. Not so with these, they are feather light.
    Oh, BTW, these two rods cost less then the returned St. Croix rod, something about bang for the buck that is always attractive.
    I'm looking forward to trying them out in the near future.
    Last edited by bignose; 02-11-2022, 03:49 PM.

My favorite perch rod is a St Croix Triumph 6' light power rod. I have an older one and liked it well enough that I bought a second one last year. They changed the color of of the logo on the newer rod, but otherwise it is pretty much the same. I pair those rods with Shimano Stradic 1000 reels. I keep a Bignose spinner on one of those two rods all the time.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Stu,

Congrats on your new perch rods. I'm sure they'll produce many fish for you.

I think whatever gear we use comfortably and effectively is our individual view of perfection.

I have a 5' 6" ultralight that I purchased years ago at Tochterman's for white perch but I rarely use it. I don't have the same casting accuracy with such a short rod that I do when using a longer rod. Also, I make long casts on occasion while perch fishing and I find that longer rod helps me do that.

So, my ideal perch rods are 6' 6" medium light spinning rods. I have three that use alternately. Two are St. Croix Triumphs and one is a 30-year-old Lamiglass graphite rod. Each has a well-used yet still smooth Pflueger President reel. Each setup has produced countless fish and frankly, they're still very lightweight combos to use for extended outings -- not at all tiresome to cast for hours.

I know a medium-light stick is a bit more rod than necessary for white perch. But I catch stripers, pickerels and channel cats on occasion when I fish for white perch in our tidal creeks. Each species hits the same 1/8 oz. jig spinners, and the same small crankbaits I use to target perch. So, I like having the extra length, and the extra backbone in my perch rods when I'm surprised by a larger fish than a white perch.

Before we know it, June will be here, and we'll be wondering where the white perch are. They never return to our creeks soon enough to satisfy our itch to catch them from our kayaks.

Good luck with your new gear.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have a couple 15 yo BP 6'6" Bionic Blade Light that I use for perch and speckled trout. Tough rods that load up perfectly on 1/2 lb to 4 lb fish yet strong enough to handle the accidental 5+ pound wild card striper or red.

Comment

Working...
        X