Car top Cart Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car top Cart Question

Greetings - I am car-toping my Hobie down to NorthCarolina and curious if anyone has kept their cart secured down and attached in the scupper holes during transport? Any concerns about doing this? I usually remove everything for travel but trying to make some room for the family stuff. Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick
    2021 Hobie Outback

I transport my Outback in my truck bed, but I never leave the cart in the scuppers during transport. I try to minimize any stress on the scuppers wherever possible and don't like the idea of the cart jostling around in there during transport. In reality this would probably put less stress on the scuppers than actually using the cart as it's designed but I figure why chance it. Are you transporting right side up or upside down? I'd try to find a way to strap the cart down inside the cockpit (or even on the outside of the hull if upside down) before trying to put it in the scuppers.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I always transport my cart upside-down in the scupper when I'm trailering, and although I haven't had to do it when car-topping, I can't see any concern.

If you run your camstraps through the upside-down scupper cart, you'll lock the cart and kayak in-place which prevents jostling or shifting around. I've transported my yak that way for around 7 years without any issue.
      I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      Garmin Echomap 93sv
      RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Shoobs,

I agree with Dave about the scupper cart. If I am traveling only a short distance to a launch (under 10 miles) in my pickup truck, I will leave the cart in the scuppers with the wheels above the hull. But if it's a long road trip like the one you propose, I would store the cart in my vehicle, not in the kayak.

I should also add that I have owned two Hobie kayaks and two scupper carts. The first cart I owned had thinner tires and was very light. My present cart has wider tires, and it is heavy by comparison. I think the heavier cart is more likely to damage the scuppers during transport than the lighter one. That's why I don't carry it far in the scuppers.

The scupper cart is not a piece of gear that is easily stored. It's large and awkward -- mostly due to the tires. If space for the cart in your vehicle is a concern due to the packing required for a family trip, you could remove the tires from it and store the frame and tires separately. Surely, you can find space in your car to carry the cart's individual components efficiently.

Good luck and enjoy the fishing in NC.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nick, your 2021 Outback comes with an integrated cart keeper at the stern - it's subtle and I'm sure some owners don't notice it. See the below image for how it works. This is how I store my cart when I'm on the water and it's very secure, that rear bungee is pretty stout. If you're cartopping the kayak right side up this could be another option if you absolutely can't find space in the car.

hobie-outback-2019-plug-in-cart-holder_orig.jpg
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Fellas thanks so much for the quick responses, guidance, and good ideas. Hopefully, I'll have some reports and pics of reds and specs to share soon.
            Nick
            2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
              Nick, your 2021 Outback comes with an integrated cart keeper at the stern - it's subtle and I'm sure some owners don't notice it. See the below image for how it works. This is how I store my cart when I'm on the water and it's very secure, that rear bungee is pretty stout. If you're cartopping the kayak right side up this could be another option if you absolutely can't find space in the car.

hobie-outback-2019-plug-in-cart-holder_orig.jpg
              Oh wow - I had no idea That's very helpful! Thanks!
              Nick
              2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X