Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the board

Hello,

I'm considering taking up kayak fishing, and figured this would be a good way to take my first step. I enjoy kayaking and fishing - looking forward to combining these activities. I have a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 120 sit-in for day trips. Would it be cool if I try to fish out of it for a meet and greet or two before commiting and buying a dedicated fishing kayak? Not sure if anyone else fishes out of this sort of boat. Seems like sit-on-top is the way to go for kayak fishing....and I have no electronics....just looking to see what it's like to fish with a group of kayaks prior to buying an angling kayak and fishfinder etc.

Thanks - looking forward to attending a Meet and greet or other group fishing session. I live near Glen Burnie.

Patrick

Howdy, welcome! Once you start, you can't stop.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Welcome Patrick.
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Welcome! I'm sure you could fish out of the Wildy Tsunami 120, but it may be a little bit narrow to give you the stability that you might want for long term use. Most do use sit on top kayaks for fishing, but it depends where you would like to fish the most. I have a Hobie Outback (sit-on) for bigger water and a Ascend FS10 (sit-in) for rivers ans skinnier water.

We have a M&G coming up on May 12 at Herring Bay in Rose Haven, Md.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Welcome Patrick. Hey, if you are not doing anything on Saturday morning come to my Kayak Fishing seminar at West Marine. The specifics are in the Tackle Box section. Again, welcome.

Comment

Welcome aboard!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Welcome ! I am sure you can manage with the tsunami. The sot is nice when dealing with open water but I have used an fs10 a lot of days on a lot of water without an issue. if you are interested, we could meet up sometime for you to try the trident out as well if you wanted, the next m&g maybe... Welcome aboard once more

Comment

Welcome to the addiction!

Warning:

**side effects may include - early mornings, late nights, soar arms or legs, excessive accessory purchases, spouse disagreements, kayak obsession, lure obsession, rod obsession, late night credit card transactions, dehydration and temporary insanity.

Please consult your local fishing guide if any of these symptoms last more than 7 days.

Comment

Welcome. Many fish out of sit ins and many fish with no electronics!
                  sigpic

Comment

I am new to the board myself after meeting Rockchaser out on the Susquehanna Flats this past weekend. I am also relatively new to kayak fishing (started last spring).

From what I have seen any kayak can be used as a fishing yak. You can MOD and costumize to your hearts content. In my opinion the best MOD is rod holders. I customized my yak for a fish finder, but I rarely use it.

I used to pack my yak with as much tackle as possible, but it just became to much unused equipment and dead weight. Now I limit myself to two rods, empty bucket for storing layers of clothing and lifejacket, and compact/minimal tackle. This allows me to get in and out of the water quickly. I tend to run to the river for 1-2 hours nearly everyday and need to maximize my fishing time.
                    ------------------ ,__
                    ------------------ | `'.
                    __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
                    \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
                    -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
                    - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
                    -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
                    /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
                    -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
                    ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
                    -------------------- \` .'/
                    --------------------- '--'

Comment

Originally posted by dDreadnaught View Post
                      I used to pack my yak with as much tackle as possible, but it just became to much unused equipment and dead weight.
                      Most of the time less is more. Especially when you're going out with a target species in mind!
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Welcome Patrick,
                        I'm in the market for a SOT, but I currently fish from a sit-in touring type kayak similar to the WS Tsunami, and it's definitely possible. In fact, I got hooked on the sport because I started throwing a rod in my Current Designs Storm as an excuse to take a paddling break on long trips. By no means am I advocating this type of craft as the most practical for fishing out of, but if it's what you have then I'd say give it a shot before you feel like you need to run out and buy a new yak. I've made simple, removable modifications that get the job done fairly comfortably. As far as facing big water, depending on your level of comfort the Tsunami would be plenty adequate as you probably already know, especially if you have a spray skirt to keep the rogues out. Again, a skirt blocks your access inside of your boat so it's not the ideal setup, but you can certainly get your foot in the door quickly. I've heard good things about the secondary stability on the Tsunami series so while it may not initially feel as stable as a SOT barge you will have enough control to stay upright.

Bottom line to this ramble is similar to what others have said: try it out and make adjustments as you go, then you'll be much more likely to be happy with what you ultimately decide on.

Pic attached with a dashboard that I've cut out of plywood and can attach to the deck rigging on my Storm. Works in a pinch!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome. The cool thing about Kayak Fishing is that there are no rules... If you come to a M&G you will see a wide array of yaks. Granted, there may not be a Tsunami amongst the group but I'm sure you can fish with it. You won't have the space for all the gear but I'm sure you can use a small tackle box and a rod or two. Good luck and hope to see ya at a few M&Gs.
                          Tom Brown
                          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                          2012 Hobie PA 14'
                          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Thanks!

Many thanks for the tips and warm welcome! Looking forward to attending a few M&Gs this season!

Patrick

Comment

Welcome Aboard

Comment

Working...
                              X