VHF radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF radio

My West Marine brand VHF radio does not transmit clearly any longer, and the LCD screen is mostly black (probably from moisture).

PXL_20220505_171346491.jpg

I am looking to buy a new radio. I tried the search feature of Snaggedline, but did not get any hits before last December, when the site was rebuilt. I know that many kayak anglers have bought Standard Horizon models. I am interested in learning which brand and model of radio you use, and if you are pleased with the way it works.

Thanks in advance.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John, I have the Standard Horizon HX300. I chose it based on recommendations from members of this forum. I started a thread last summer, you can read it here: https://snaggedline.com/forum/snagge...ecommendations

So far I've been happy with it. I've gotten it wet plenty of times and have had no issues with it not working. I run it under the kitchen faucet occasionally to get salt deposits off it. It floats and lights up when it's wet which is a cool feature if you happen to drop it overboard. Occasionally I'll have trouble hearing others but I'm never sure if it's my radio or theirs that is the issue, I suspect it is theirs since mine is relatively new and well cared for. I think when we fished together on the Little Choptank last year we ended up out of radio range when we were on opposite sides of the river which is a pretty good range for a handheld unit, I think.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks Dave. The HX300 is one of the models I am considering.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have the same West Marine radio and it is starting to fail. I used to have a Standard Horizon and it died after about six years and I went to a West Marine as it was on sale. I think this time I am going to go with a Standard Horizon HX890.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

After doing some homework and reading the link that Dave provided, I ordered a Standard Horizon HX300 radio.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Now that I have my new VHF radio, I don't have any use for the old one. I don't think the old radio transmits correctly, but it does receive the weather channels. The Li-ion battery and charger are in good working order. I am happy to pass the radio and charger on for free to someone who can use the radio as a weather monitor or who would like the charger or battery. If interested, contact me by May 15. After that, it will be discarded.
            Last edited by J.A. Veil; 05-09-2022, 09:55 PM.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Now that I have my new VHF radio, I don't have any use for the old one. I don't think the old radio transmits correctly, but it does receive the weather channels. The Li-ion battery and charger are in good working order. I am happy to pass the radio and charger on for free to someone who can use the radio as a weather monitor or who would like the charger or battery. If interested, contact me by May 15. After that, it will be discarded.
              If somebody wants two, I'll be more than happy to throw mine that recently did the same in as a bonus...lol

Ps Awhile ago I bought an HX870, great radio, eats the battery but I love having the GPS, And DSC.... I did buy an HX300 to replace the WM one am happy with it for when I dont need all the bells and whistles.

Comment

I picked up an HX890 at West Marine in ANP yesterday. I spent last evening testing it and programing the frequencies and scans I use. Now if only the rain will go away.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

The guy I fished with yesterday and I both had brand new HX300 radios. They worked very well for communicating across several hundred yard separations.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                  X