Horned Pondweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horned Pondweed

If you’ve been fishing the last couple of weeks you know the floating grass has been unbearable at times. It’s Horned Pondweed that is one of the first grasses to grow in the spring and starts to die off in June after water temperature rises and it completes its reproduction.. It releases itself and gives us the giant floating mats that make trolling and even casting difficult. Fortunately for us the end is near and we should have much cleaner water to fish in a few days.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

This stuff has been brutal all up and down the bay. Looking forward to cleaner water when it's gone.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Here are some examples from the Severn. I will feel relieved when the horned pondweed has departed.

2022-05-25-001.jpg

2022-05-25-002.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Columbia ponds are loaded with Milfoil, Hydrilla, Coontail, and Duckweed.
        And filamentous algae, your basic pond scum also know as "swamp snot"

Comment

Too much run off that is full of nutrients coming off of the lawns of Howard County.

Dredging the ponds every 15 years, or so hasn't helped much.

Comment

Originally posted by gshappell

And the only way to get rid of it is those dredge collectors??? gotta be a better way
            Yep, that or stock some grass carp to keep them browsed down. They won't touch the filamentous algae, but they will eat the other submerged vegetation. The only way to really control the algae is to reduce nutrient runoff, which good luck with that in those watersheds.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
            X