Questions About Snakehead Migrations and Salinity Tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About Snakehead Migrations and Salinity Tolerance

John Veil's recent post about hooking a snakeheard got me to thinkning...

It has been 20 years since a snakehead was found in a Crofton, MD pond creating hysteria about "Frankenfish." Undoubtedly, they were in our waters before the discovery of that Crofton fish. Since then, we've seen them spread throughout the mid to upper Chesapeake watershed. Perhaps they were helped along by bucket brigades of unscrupulous anglers. But I suspect, snakeheads have largely expanded their presence on their own via migration.

In July 2011, when snakeheads were thought to be confined to the Potomac River, The Chesapeake Bay Program published an article with the following sentence.:

"Snakeheads are freshwater fish, so the Bay’s brackish waters usually prevent them from leaving the Potomac River."

Here's the article: https://www.chesapeakebay.net/news/b...elaware_rivers

I suspect the author of that article would like to retract that sentence.

"Eyes on the Bay" is an information resource provided by the MD DNR.

If I've copied the link correctly, this map shows average salinty levels at various stations in the Cheseapeake Bay and its tributaries for June 2022:

Eyes on the Bay: Current Water Quality Conditions, Historical Results & Aquatic Habitat Models (maryland.gov)

It's interesting to look at the areas where we know snakeheads reside. For example Indianhead (near Mattawoman on the Potomac) had a salinity level of .1 PPT (Parts per Thousand -- grams of disolved salt per thousand grams of water) in June. The Severn and Magothy, both rivers with snakehead populations had readings of 7.1 and 5.9 PPT respectively for the same month. Those are large variances from Indianhead. An even larger variance in salinity is at the Bay Bridge. Last month it was 9.4. Interestingly, crabbers setting their pots near the bridge have been known to catch snakeheads in them.

Heading north, the tidal Gunpowder River has snakeheads. Its salinty in June was .4 PPT, four times higher than Indianhead but much lower than the Severn, Magothy and Bay Bridge.

Our mid Bay salinities certainly qualify as brackish water. But in contrast, salinity at the mouth of the Bay can exceed 30 PPT.

Questions that arise in my mind are:
    1. Just how wide a range of salinity can snakeheads tolerate?
    2. Did those snakeheads currently in mid-Chesapeake tributataries migrate from the north or south? (Either direction, they had to swim through waters with much higher salinity waters than they were uccustomed to.)
    3. Will salinity levels near the mouth of the Bay limit the spread of snakeheads in the Chesapeake or will the fish adjust to them and eventually reside throughout the entire Bay?

After 20 years of living with them, I think we still have much to learn about Snakeheads.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-18-2022, 02:27 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

So from what I've read of the literature, adult snakeheads themselves are fairly tolerant of higher salinity water. It's the snakehead fry that don't fair so well in higher salinities above 10 ppt as shown in the study linked below. So while they can move around to new places, they are going to struggle to establish new populations of significant size in rivers and creeks with higher salinity.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...a-striatus.pdf

Also, I would stress we should not read too much into the spread of this fish to suggest they have a higher salinity tolerance than was initially reported. Do not under-estimate how much of this spread is due to illegal introductions by our fellow anglers. Genetic testing has shown the snakehead population in Blackwater was likely introduced there from a population in Delaware that would have had no way of getting there naturally. Every single snakehead population found in a Maryland or Virginia lake is the result of either a purposeful introduction, or possibly an accidental bait bucket introduction. Juvenile snakeheads look a heck of a lot like a bull minnow if you don't look closely, especially in a bucket mixed in with a few dozen of them, and I often wonder how many accidentally get introduced to places that way.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Cliff,

Thank you for the link. It answers one of my questions.

It’s an interesting study originating in Thailand for the purpose of determining the viability of raising snakeheads for food via aquaculture in brackish waters. The goal was to see just how much salinity snakeheads could endure if coastal ponds (old aquaculture shrimp ponds) were used for their production.

The study noted that rice fields in Southeast Asia are the prime source of wild-caught snakeheads for sale as food. However, the productivity of those fields for snakeheads has declined due to pesticide used on rice plants killing fish. Hence, the study was undertaken to see how much salinity snakehead fry could survive if they were raised for food in available brackish water.

As you said, 10 ppt of salinity is the magic number. The study indicates that at 10 ppt, 82 percent of the fry survived and grew fast. It is not until salinity reaches 15 ppt that there is zero survival of the fry. At 11, 12, 13 and 14 ppt, the fry survival rate drops from 63 to 57 to 56 to 17 percent for each of those salinities respectively. Also, there is a significant decrease in their growth rate as salinity rises above 10 – a very important consideration for aquaculture.

It would be wise for those engaged in snakehead aquaculture to keep salinity levels in their ponds below 10 ppt.

Of course, in the wild, survival rates will not approach those of the study where snakeheads were raised in tanks with no predators. But we know they are programmed by nature to spawn several times each season to make up for predation losses and to ensure their survival as a species.

Also, I note, salinity levels in most of the Bay’s tributaries are well under 10 ppt. Even as far south as Point Lookout it rarely exceeds 14 ppt. So yes, they may not spread through all parts of the Bay. But to quote the study, “snakehead fish can survive at 0-14 ppt water salinity…this species can survive in brackish water better than other freshwater fish.”

They are definitely here to stay.

I would like to know more about their origins in each region of the Bay and how interrelated or distinct the various populations are.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X