Poplar Island fishing opportunity on Thurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poplar Island fishing opportunity on Thurs

John Rentch and I are planning a long, open-water kayak fishing trip on Thurs, Aug 25 to fish at Poplar Island and various other nearby shallow water spots with structure that I discovered during many years of fishing in that area with a boat. The only realistic public launch spot that allows two old guys to paddle kayaks to and from Poplar is Lowes Wharf Inn marina. We will cover 8 to >10 miles during the day. I have a particular route in mind, but this could be lengthened or shortened as needed. Without motor power, it is important to choose a day with low winds and favorable tides. As of now, Thurs look promising.

To get from the launch across Poplar Narrows to the islands is more than 2.5 miles in open water.
    I typically troll as I move from one spot to another, but once at a spot, I do mostly casting. I hope to hit a bunch of different spots that offer good shots at stripers, perch, and maybe bluefish. Spanish mackerel and specks are less likely possibilities, but may show up.

We have not yet set a launch time, but suspect it will be in the range of 6:30 to 7:00. Low tide in the area is approximately 10:30. Lowes Wharf has a launch fee of $5 or $7 (the woman who answered the phone did not know which). I know this is short notice, plus many Snaggedline members still have day jobs (hurray for being retired!). But if you are interested in joining us, please contact me.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I'll be working John, but I look forward to seeing your trip report!

Comment

Can't make the trip but really interested to see how it goes. I'll be looking forward to your report afterwards
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Following from work! ! Good luck fellas!
        Nick
        2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry I missed this outing and hope you plan another such adventure soon! Thanks for posting.

Comment

I live on Kent Island and check this website only a couple times a week. Would have definitely gladly joined you had I known about your trip before sooner. If you guys decide to do it again I'd gladly join you or would happily join you anytime you come out to the island. Hope you had a successful day !!

Comment

Working...
            X