Fishing for perch along tidal creek shorelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing for perch along tidal creek shorelines

Each summer, I look forward to the arrival of white perch into the shoreline shallows of the Severn tidal creeks and ponds. The earliest arrivers typically show up in the second half of May, with many more filling in during June. Sadly, this year has been way off in numbers of perch that can be found in areas where they usually hang out. I fished often in various Severn creeks and ponds this summer without much success. Recently, my catches have picked up, but I still have had to look far and wide to get the perch.

Perch normally hang around in the shoreline areas until mid-October with most having left by early November. The next month or two could offer some better perch fishing. Here are a few tips that may improve your catching success.

1) Look for shady areas. I don't know why, but perch seem to prefer shaded areas (e.g., overhanging branches, under docks, shadows thrown by trees). This photo was taken last weekend in a Severn tidal creek. I caught perch in the shaded areas to the left. The fallen wood in the photos improves the odds too.

2022-08-20-003.jpg

2) Cast at different distances from the shoreline. Bottom contours vary, the tides change the water depth, and the fish do move around. They are not always found at the same spots or at the same distance from the shoreline. Start with a cast as close to the shoreline as possible (position #1 on the photo below - marked in blue). If you don’t get bites there, cast 5 yards from shore (position #2 – marked in red). If that does not work, try 10 yards (position #3 – marked in yellow) or even farther. I have caught perch in the same shoreline stretches on different days at all those distances.

casting angles.jpg

3) Vary the angle of your retrieve. You may wind in the first cast from the right side of the kayak. On the next cast, you could cast to the same spot but try a retrieve from the left side of the kayak (the colored arrows show the approximate path of the retrieves when you use different rod positions). The lure will pass through different patches of water that way and may pass in front of an interested fish. Combine changing angles with varying the distance from shore, and soon you will be able to cover a lot more water.

4) Vary the speed and cadence of your retrieve. If you retrieve faster, the lure will ride higher in the water column. Or retrieve more slowly, and the lure will ride lower. You can use that to your advantage to put the lure where you thing the perch will be. I try to vary the speed of my retrieval winding a few turns fast, then hesitating, the winding a few turns more slowly, etc. This makes the lure move at different speeds and up and down a bit.

5) Look for spots that have not been fished recently. Weems Creek is a popular perch fishing spot because of the Tucker St ramp. It gets a great deal of fishing pressure, including some anglers who keep as many perch as they catch. The perch population has been diminished and made more wary by this pressure. I have observed over the years that if another angler has fished a shoreline within the past hour, my catch rate drops noticeably. The same applies if I work a shoreline, then come back half an hour later to fish it again. It rarely produces many fish on the second time through. If you are able, plan to get out early and be the first angler at a spot. Also, if you are launching in locations that have heavy fishing pressure, consider paddling/pedaling to another nearby water body that is not so close to a launch spot. I do this regularly after launching at Tucker St or at Jonas Green park. Over the past three days, I fished in 7 different Severn creeks or ponds to look for perch. My searching paid off (30 perch on Mon, 15 on Tues, and 41 this morning).

6) Keep moving. Not every piece of shoreline holds perch to the same extent. Although the shorelines may look equally good to humans, the fish prefer certain areas and tend to be found there more often. The best way to learn these is to spend a lot of time on the water and make hundreds of casts. I have a pretty good idea of where perch should be in the Severn based on the many Severn perch trips I have made over the past 20 years. I make a few casts. If I catch perch or feel bumps, I stay to make more casts. If I don't get bumps, I move along.

Good luck.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Point #6 is my favorite. Its all too easy for anglers to get caught up on what looks like a good spot to human eyes or focus on where fish "should" be that they end up staying in an unproductive spot for too long. I'd say this is even more true for kayak anglers because we get an up close and personal look at all the fishy looking areas and are limited in our range to begin with. I'm guilty of it at times, but in general I like to move a lot when I fish. Like you said, I'll make a few casts to a fishy looking spot and see if I get any interest - if there's none then I'll move along. Experience and time on the water helps give you a head start because you know ahead of time which particular spots are usually productive, so you can eliminate a good bit of trial and error casting to unproductive spots. If I've exhausted my pre-existing inventory of typically productive spots and not had any success I go exploring and see what else I can find. Sometimes this turns up some gems, usually it does not.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

Excellent post John. I love your helpful trip reports and tips.

Comment

To further add to John's comment about shade:

I enjoy "dock hopping", approaching docks, and skipping a spinner jig underneath them with a short spinning rod (5 1/2 feet). The same applies to downed wood and shady overhangs. The advantage of a spinner jig is they don't tend to get hung up in branches like a curly tail jig with an open hook does.

The docks, obviously, provide shade. And the structure provide a combination of cover and ambush points, plus they attract baitfish and grass shrimp.

Not only does the thump and vibration of the spinner jig attract strikes, but I suspect that the actual splash of a lure plunking lightly into the water under a dock attracts fish to investigate. Perch are belligerent and aggressive little bastards.

With the spinner jig, cast it and allow it to helicopter down a couple of feet before retrieving it.

I look to try to hit somewhere between the 4th and 5 th piling from the shore. I'm thinking 4-6 feet of water, so this may vary due to tidal level.
          If there are weeds present, I look to drop the lure right where the weed growth ends, better still if there is shade there.

Transitions, wood to rip rap, bulkheads to docks, all are productive areas. Shade edges underneath bridges will also produce fish, but this is often more of an open water, deeper jigging situation.

Comment

Excellent tips John and Stu!

As each of you have said, varying the retrieve speed of all lures (and flies too) and letting them fall in the water column will encourage bites. In fact, pausing the retireive often produces hits right at the moment you pause.

And something else I've discovered -- not only does attacking a target area from different casting angles help as John stated, but casting along a shoreline or under a dock from the opposite direction may help. Before leaving an attractive area, I will often circle around in my kayak and cast so that my lure or fly travels from right to left as opposed to left to right through the same water. I don't know why this works but it often does. I surmise it's due to the direction the fish are facing at that particular spot.

Now, all that said, I have to admit I have caught far fewer white perch this year than in the past. I think they were late in arriving to the creeks to this year and I have to wonder if their numbers are down. I've also been unable to fish as often this summer so maybe I just have to get my perch mojo back!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

John thanks for this great post and also thanks for the insightful comments. I never thought to cast from both sides of the kayak to cover more of the water column - very helpful. As Dave discussed I am learning I often stay too long in one spot especially if it looks fishy to me. Following John's diagram gives me more confidence that I covered an area sufficiently and if no action - keep it moving.
              Nick
              2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X